Menu

Dell laptop, main logic board replaced, data question

Wondering if anyone has experience with this. My laptop kept shutting down and prevented me from being able to start it to save my photos and Word files before I sent it in for repair. 

They said they replaced main logic board and did an operating system reinstall.

So, are all my word files gone (documents, Word files, pictures...)?

Anything else I should know? 

Not sure if I want my suspicions confirmed here, but thanks in advance!

10 minutes ago, ***** said:

They said they replaced main logic board and did an operating system reinstall.

Then your stuff are likely gone. The repair agreement typically includes that the owner needs to backup the data and they are not liable for data loss.

When we sent my kid’s damaged Toshiba laptop to Microsoft store, they did make an image of his harddisk before repairing. There is nothing personal there other than his homework so we were annoyed at the infringement of privacy but we would have just transferred everything to an external drive if there were personal stuff there.

5 minutes ago, Arcadia said:

they did make an image of his harddisk before repairing

There was no way I could get on long enough to do anything, my curser was freezing up then computer shut down. Or was there something  else that could have been done to save my data before I sent it in?

1 minute ago, ***** said:

There was no way I could get on long enough to do anything, my curser was freezing up then computer shut down. Or was there something  else that could have been done to save my data before I sent it in?

I think your laptop’s motherboard died. What we typically do is take out the hard disk and put it into a USB hard disk enclosure. Then connect that to another laptop or computer and copy the data over. 
e.g of hard disk enclosure https://www.dell.com/en-us/work/shop/accessories/apd/a7620065?gacd=9646510-1028-5761040-266706306-0&dgc=st&ds_k=DYNAMIC+SEARCH+ADS&gclsrc=aw.ds&ds_rl=1282789&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI5JbG_dr7-AIVfRXUAR0FfwTvEAAYAiAAEgKWbfD_BwE

When my power cord stopped functioning the Dell help desk (who were real jerks!) sent someone over to replace the mother board, in addition to giving me a new power cord. That guy was really nice and replaced it there on my kitchen table. Everything was right where I left it when we powered the computer back up. Maybe you will get lucky!

• Like 1