Menu

Online Classes (Spanish 2)

My son needs to take Spanish 2 this year.  Because we are moving out of state during the year, I would like to find an online class for him.  It is possible that he will need other online classes also (perhaps science and perhaps another elective).  I am not that familiar with online class options.  Can someone provide me with suggestions for online high school classes?  TIA!

My dc took Spanish with Ray Leven (I find his home page by starting at the PAHomeschoolers AP Spanish page and clicking through to other classes he teaches). He is very serious about learning the language and maximizing use of time. One of my dc did great, the other struggled some. For their elective languages my dc have taken classes through WTMA. Those classes are much more about enjoying the process of learning the language. All three of my dc have liked the classes there, I think they are less challenging, but still acceptable.

One thing to consider about online classes is that there is often a discount for multiple dc or multiple classes. However, the best classes for each child in different subjects often come from different providers, so a balance must be found. What area(s) of science are you considering?

Another consideration is that after three classes (in our house) balancing different classes, assignments, calendars, etc is a lot of work administratively.

On the plus side, I have had dc log in for class from France, Germany, Italy, Arizona, wherever.

• Like 2

I've heard positive things about Fundafunda's Spanish so that would be my basic Spanish II rec. That's assuming you don't want a tutor option like Homeschool Spanish Academy.

Lots of other options out there though. Global Goose has Spanish. All the CLRC modern language classes have a strong reputation and they have Spanish. Aim Academy has Spanish, but they have it combined with another subject - it's geography this year. A number of the Christian providers like Potter's School and Wilson Hill have Spanish. WTMA has Spanish, but it's too late to sign up for most WTMA courses.

In terms of generalized online options, Aim Academy, PA Homeschoolers, Blue Tent, WTMA, Online G3... all places that have a lot of options.

• Like 1

Thank you all!  I knew you would be able to point me in the right direction, and I am looking forward to checking out the options you mentioned.

22 hours ago, SusanC said:

One thing to consider about online classes is that there is often a discount for multiple dc or multiple classes. However, the best classes for each child in different subjects often come from different providers, so a balance must be found. What area(s) of science are you considering?

Thank you for sharing some of the other considerations to take into account.  He is planning to take a general Biology class this year.

3 minutes ago, Staceyshoe said:

He is planning to take a general Biology class this year.

My dc enjoyed the Bio classes at Funafunda, taught by Boardie Clemson Dana. The teaching is solid, we were amazed at how accommodating she was for the students, and the price is hard to beat.

I'm sure many of the providers Farrar mentioned would also have a bio option.

Best of luck!

• Like 1

We tried FundaFunda's Spanish I and it was not for us.  There was a once a week meeting for conversation practice (starting a couple weeks in) but the rest involved watching very short videos and playing games on various sites on the internet. For my kids and I, it felt random and disjointed. I know a couple of boardies who liked it, but we found it very frustrating.  There was one case where we didn't have a vocabulary list but were expected to play a game with farm animal names until mastery.  It did not give the english names in the game so we were guessing and using google to look up the Spanish words for some animals where the graphics were not super clear (e.g. lamb v adult sheep).  Plus, although everything was due Thurs night, the new assignments wouldn't post until Saturday.  We ended up using that day (Friday) for review. Anyway, we toughed it out for maybe a month (shouldn't have gone that long) and quit and lost the money, and then I taught them from home using Avancemos which was 100% better.  YMMV of course. Some people liked the Fundafunda Spanish.

Edited by cintinative
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

We have done BJU Spanish and enjoyed it. The videos are are prerecorded and a bit dated but it was a solid course in my opinion. 
We are going to try a science class on apologia or the potter school this year. No experience but we are outsourcing science.