Menu

S/O of Quiver's Dryer Fire Thread, please check your dryer

hose and under the lint trap for accumulated lint that could overheat.

In the last 5 year we took care of my FIL, he would never, ever let us run the dryer after bedtime or when no one was home, because he feared it catching on fire. He also got us all into the habit of pulling the dryer and hose apart and cleaning out the lint twice a year, when we change batteries in the smoke detectors during Daylight Savings Time change weekends.

We would not have thought of adding that to the safety maintenance of the house, but he had a healthy paranoia that I've come to be thankful for. If you haven't checked to see what's in your dryer hose lately, you might want to see. (I kinda sound like the Chase Credit card commercials, don't I?)

Thus endeth today's PSA. :) I'll post a reminder on "Spring Forward" weekend.

May I add working carbon monoxide detectors? My grandmother died a few years ago because of carbon monoxide poisoning.

Horrible -- just horrible.

Her death was because of a generator my uncle had hooked up for her after a storm. He did not leave the garage door open to let the exhaust out, so it seeped into her house. But, if she had had a CO detector, she would still be alive today.

May I add working carbon monoxide detectors? My grandmother died a few years ago because of carbon monoxide poisoning.

Yes, that's really important, too. I forgot to mention, b/c our smoke detectors or combo units w/ the CO detector. (I think they only last a couple of years, though, so I need to check and make sure we're properly safeguarded.

Thanks for the mention, and I'm really sorry!!!

Just FYI - not everyone needs CO detectors. As long as you do not have gas appliances and do not run gas motors indoors (even in an open garage), there is no danger of CO build up.

Actually other furnaces can too...

"Carbon monoxide (CO) is a tasteless, colourless and odourless poisonous gas often referred to as “the silent killer.†It is produced when fuels such as natural gas, oil, wood, propane and kerosene don’t get enough air to burn up completely. Damaged or blocked venting inside heating systems, as well as inadequate air flow can allow CO to build up inside the home."

http://www.safety-council.org/info/home/CO.html

The CDC also reports that common sources of carbon monoxide exposure include:

• Oil and gas furnaces
  • Motor vehicles
  • Stove/Gas range
  • Gas line leaks
  • Gas water heaters
  • Generators
  • Space heaters

So you should definitely have a carbon monoxide detector in your home if you have any appliances that are not electric and that burn natural or liquefied petroleum gas, oil, wood, coal, or other fuels, or if you have a home with an attached garage.

Another interesting thing to note is that smokers already have less oxygen and more CO in their blood stream, so they are actually more susceptible to CO poisoning.

I've tried to figure this out and can't seem to....

You know I found these books about simple repairs at the library...I'm on my way to work there now so I'll check the name....but the book had a step by step and with my dryer manual it was really simple. It's been a while since we did it so my memory is fuzzy, but I recall being surprised it wasn't too difficult and we were so happy to vacuum out all the accumulated lint from the inside.

I'll post the title when I get home.

Do not run a generator in your garage at ALL. We have just come off a ten day storm-related power outage here, and folks were getting sick even when they left the garage doors ajar with the generator running. Don't take a chance.

I'm so sorry to the woman who lost their family member that way. How sad for everyone.

Cindy in NH

Horrible -- just horrible.

Her death was because of a generator my uncle had hooked up for her after a storm. He did not leave the garage door open to let the exhaust out, so it seeped into her house. But, if she had had a CO detector, she would still be alive today.

Yes- even in an apartment. Tomorrow there will be a funeral for a young woman who died of CO poisoning- totally unexpected. Her husband and child fortunately survived.