Menu

$2 Fun Ideas

thewellerman

The other day, all my kids bought a pool float for $2 each. 

We also discovered our local golf course has a ball machine at their driving range: $2 for a half bucket. 

Ice cream cones or slushies at a drive thru are also $2ish.  A hamburger and a drink will run closer to $3 at the Arches, though we don't usually do that. 

If you have your own shoes, use the kids bowl free thing, or find another discount (ours has free shoes for kids when the free kids summer bowl isn't running), then you can bowl 1 game for $2 (if you go at the right time of day.) 

If you already have basic sewing supplies, $2 will buy 2 fat quarters for crafting (and you could get a whole yard of something if you shop carefully.)

With the ridiculous rise in prices, what things have you found that are cheap and fun?  

• Like 1

$2 at a garage sale can buy a lot! 

Things I bought for $2 or less at sales this week: four kids' novels ($2), six Ever After High and Disney dolls ($1.50), a small quilt for my dog ($0.50), new plush throws ($1 each), a shirt for DD ($2), a bag of play figures ($0.50). My friend got a bunch of new cake decorating supplies for $0.25 each and outdoor pillows for $1 each.  

• Like 1

My kids are past that stage, but some ideas:

...see what programming your library has for the summer - ours does fun stuff all throughout the year

...look into your local movie theater -- one of the large chains (at least one) does dollar movies in the summer; older stuff, nothing new, but fun to get out and see a movie in the theater (just skip drinks/popcorn)

...we have at least one area pool that has entrance fees around there, although that is per person, not per family, so would add up if you have a large family

...look into park programming, as well - our town/those around us often have "movie in the park" or "music in the park" or various assorted things that are free on various summer nights

• Like 1

When my kids were younger, and we were still homeschooling, we took advantage of every free and cheap thing we could find that held our interest.   

• I would give them a spending budget for the thrift store for a toy and/or book once a week.
  • Most cities have $1 summer movies
  • We have a $2 roller rink
  • museums have free days
  • zoos have free or deeply discounted days
  • $1 cone near us at a local ice cream place

Now that we have a foster child (even though he is adopted), we get a lot of deep discounts and freebies

• museum near us have free and deeply reduced rates for up to 6 per foster family
  • we just got free babysitting and a $50 gift card for foster families
  • Like 2