Menu

Practical thread about using fonts in presentations

Nice!

I'll just add one last thought to that article: whatever font you use, make sure it is COMMON and UNIVERSALLY USED.

Because if you need to put your presentation onto a thumb drive and run it off of a different laptop/computer, that different laptop/computer may NOT have your not-as-common typeface loaded, and it will default to a typeface that will likely make all of your hard work of spacing and sizing look horrific in the default font. [ask me how I know...] 😬🙄

Edited by Lori D.
  • Like 3

42 minutes ago, Lori D. said:

Nice!

I'll just add one last thought to that article: whatever font you use, make sure it is COMMON and UNIVERSALLY USED.

Because if you need to put your presentation onto a thumb drive and run it off of a different laptop/computer, that different laptop/computer may NOT have your not-as-common typeface loaded, and it will default to a typeface that will likely make all of your hard work of spacing and sizing look horrific in the default font. [ask me how I know...] 😬🙄

The same is true for PDF files ("PDF" is "portable document format."). Even though you saved it with specific fonts, you have to be sure to *embed the fonts* in the document when you save it, because otherwise, it will turn out to be Courier on the title of your new newsletter. Ask me how I know!

And for your website.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, daijobu said:

Thanks, Lori.  What are some examples of common fonts?  

Arial / Helvetica
Times New Roman / Times

These are pretty widely used as well:
Comic Sans
Georgia
Palatino
Verdana

And here's a recent article with examples of "30+ Best Web Safe Fonts".

And of course, if you're able to use your own laptop for giving a presentation, then it's not a problem, as those fonts are loaded on your computer.

• Like 1

Now we could have a discussion about how it isn't necessary to underline text. That's a holdover from the days of typewriters, when the only way to emphasize text was to underline. Also, copy editors would underline rough drafts so that the typesetters would make that text italics; in today's world, anything that is underlined could be made italics. Of course, that leads into a discussion about how not all fonts have italics faces, so if you think you'll be doing that, be sure to use a font with an italic face.

Yes, I am a font nerd. 🙂