Menu

Math mammoth with Singapore?

Nixo7

I have been going round and round for a good math curriculum for my first grader for next year. I wanted to do Singapore but it looks very teacher intensive (I have a baby and toddler at home too 😬

So enter Math Mammoth! It looks amazing and it seems perfect for the season of life we are in. But my concern is it doesn’t use as many manipulatives as Singapore does and doesn’t looks as fun or solid?

Would it be possible to do math mammoth but add in Singapore as a supplement? Anyone do this?

6 minutes ago, Nixo7 said:

I have been going round and round for a good math curriculum for my first grader for next year. I wanted to do Singapore but it looks very teacher intensive (I have a baby and toddler at home too 😬

So enter Math Mammoth! It looks amazing and it seems perfect for the season of life we are in. But my concern is it doesn’t use as many manipulatives as Singapore does and doesn’t looks as fun or solid?

Would it be possible to do math mammoth but add in Singapore as a supplement? Anyone do this?

I wouldn't even consider using both. MM and Singapore use very similar approaches, just with a different format. It would be like doing double math, and both are very comprehensive on their own. For us, we find the all in one format of MM to work better. Some people like the more colorful Singapore books. I would pick the one you like better and just use some manipulatives while working on math if you go with MM. We keep a box of math manipulatives handy when kids are that age, though a couple of my kids ended up hating manipulatives, so I dropped them with those kids.

eta: and welcome!

Edited by KSera
  • Like 4

I think either program would be solid for first grade. Two might be overkill.

When you say that Singapore looks teacher intensive, how do you envision math instruction looking for your 1st grader? Do you plan to be involved in teaching and presenting material? In overseeing the practice problems? 

MM is definitely more "open and go" for the teacher than Singapore (since Singapore has multiple books). You could buy the manipulatives like Ksera suggested and use them alongside MM. Right Start math sells math manipulative kits that would have everything you might need or want for elementary math 🙂

Math in 1st grade doesn't need to take a long time. 20-30 minutes, depending on the child.

• Like 2

Thanks for your help! I think when I said “more teacher intensive” I guess I just mean it seems like it’s a lot more planning on my end. And it has multiple books that I need to juggle. And when all of you kids are school age I can’t imagine teaching them all with Singapore when they are all in different levels. My only concern is math mammoth doesn’t seem as fun or as rigorous 

I’ve been looking at both for 3 of my 4, and I like the look of Singapore better than MM. but I’m concerned that that teacher guides are not scripted enough for me because it’s a methodology I didn’t use to learn math. Today I discovered esingapore.com. I really like the samples! But I can’t imagine using only an online curriculum. But maybe it could help me teach, so I’d get both. Just thought I’d share! (All of mine are at different levels. Everything overwhelms me, lol)

Edited by Ting Tang
  • Like 1

I just started Primary Standards 1A. I don't find the book juggling too bad. The textbook tells you the pages of the workbook to do. I was worried about this based on what people said online, but really in practice it was a non-issue. Your child doesn't have to see the HIG ever that's just for you and it's not scripted so you could read/skim it without the kids around, then figure out the things you want/need to do. (It doesn't expect you to do all the things. They have activities in there because compared to some they are lite on practice and some of the activities just provide extra practice and/or enrichment.)

You can always google topics if your child struggles with a particular concept and see other ways of teaching that topic. That's probably easier than trying to supplement with another full blown math program.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nixo7 said:

My only concern is math mammoth doesn’t seem as fun or as rigorous 

I agree MM doesn't seem as fun, but I do think it's equally rigorous (though I'd say that at 1st grade, rigorous isn't a word I usually use for any subjects, except maybe phonics). It's entirely possible to go with something more fun for 1st and then start MM in 2nd. I did that with two of mine and they started at the 2nd grade level in MM.

Do you know that there is a Home Instructor's Guide for Singapore?  It really makes things very open and go.  We use the US edition, which has fewer moving parts, and easily get through a grade level each year by doing math 4 days a week.  We go through the semi-scripted explanation in the HIG, possibly play one of the games they provide for enrichment, and the kid does the exercise.  Although I own the textbooks, we never actually use them.  When we began, I had a 5 year old, a preschooler and a baby on the way, and it really was achievable in the 20 connected minutes I might have while the baby was napping and the preschooler was playing or eating a snack.

36 minutes ago, Lovinglife123 said:

I love math mammoth and plan to never switch it.  It is more fun than it looks.  My soon to be first grader often is using crayons for different activities, a rekenrek (20 bead one) for most lessons. My third grader had to get out a kitchen scale today and a bathroom scale and weigh a bunch of stuff/ people.  We play math facts that stick games.  It’s easy to add on games, but nice to not need to.  They play tons of board games/ card games all day long that aren’t math specific.  Math is short and sweet- so they have time for other things. 

We have lots of other manipulatives, but for first grade the rekenrek is perfect.  She can do it on her own.  My kids don’t like using blocks, but we have them whenever they need them.

Thank you this is very encouraging! I think I’m just going to do MM and try to add in some fun things and not over think it 🙂 

• Like 1

I don’t think you can make a wrong choice here, but First Grade Math With Confidence has been great for my six year old. I like the emphasis on subitizing at this level, manipulatives are flexible and it’s scripted. The scope is a bit slower than singapore, but it’s great ROI for first grade math time. 

It’s very tempting to find two curriculums that you halfway like and then try to do both. But that is actually quite harmful to the child because you’re overworked the child and it doesn’t get you anywhere. Both programs are robust. I know first grader is going to learn from anything being independent. So just pick the one you like best and plan on teaching it regardless.