Menu

transcript for state vs future private school admission

Mom_to3

I am starting to compose this year's homeschool transcript. Our state requires quite a lot of subjects to be taught every single year (think state history or geography etc.) - but I don't think we are doing a complete "credit" in some of these subjects, whatever that is (the state is vague about how much of a subject needs to be taught). I am thinking of putting together a separate detailed transcript that emphasizes the focus of our homeschool learning that we would use for private school applications next year where I drop some of the less substantial subjects. Or would a private school expect the transcript I submit to the state (where "state history" is on the same level of detail as our very advanced math/science/programming/foreign languages/English lit and writing etc curriculum)? I don't want the private school to get the wrong idea about the kid...Now technically, I think we don't have to submit a transcript to the district at all to comply with state law, so perhaps I just shouldn't (but might get into trouble with the school district - which I would prefer to avoid as they are a mess).

This sounds like a good question for other homeschoolers in your state.  In California, we don't have this requirement unless you are applying UCs and even then exceptions can be made.  Either mention your location in this thread, or consider contacting homeschoolers local to you.  

• Like 1

Sounds like a job for course descriptions. Keep the transcript to the basic stuff, include booklists, hours of study, etc separately so you can submit it if needed. You can see examples on the college board here-different level, but the same concept.

• Like 2

Our homeschool association typically advises to submit as little as possible to the school district (but that would likely lead to lots of back and forth arguing with the district, so I prefer to include some kind of report or transcript). I am more concerned about the private school - I think I will just write a detailed report that focuses on the main subjects that we have been focusing on (I mean - the x year of state history is kind of not really something I am proud of or want to spend a whole lot of time on!). Will take a look at the high school forum, too. Thank you!

On 5/26/2022 at 5:41 PM, Mom_to3 said:

Our homeschool association typically advises to submit as little as possible to the school district (but that would likely lead to lots of back and forth arguing with the district, so I prefer to include some kind of report or transcript). I am more concerned about the private school - I think I will just write a detailed report that focuses on the main subjects that we have been focusing on (I mean - the x year of state history is kind of not really something I am proud of or want to spend a whole lot of time on!). Will take a look at the high school forum, too. Thank you!

The nice thing about having them is that you can choose what to use. It’s likely they really won’t need much beyond math and English if you’re coming in at a usual entry grade, and maybe not even that if you have standardized test scores, like the ISEE. But if you have them sitting on a computer somewhere, you’re covered. 

I homeschooled through a cover school that had room for a course description for each course at each grade (due to using the exact same software for K-12), so I kept detailed records and updated as things changed. I first needed it in 6th grade for a program application, and after that point, needed some part of it pretty much every year. 

• Thanks 1

Our laws are like this. The things required by the (not a) state are not the things I put down as the things on the transcript. I just saw it as two completely separate processes. One is to satisfy the legal homeschooling requirements of the government. The other is to accurately describe how we educated and what we emphasized. One of mine applied to high schools (though he didn't go) and now has applied to college. I did not try to include all the state requirements on the transcript and in fact did not mention them other than to make a note that we were legally registered as homeschoolers and satisfied all legal requirements.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 5/25/2022 at 6:59 PM, Mom_to3 said:

I am starting to compose this year's homeschool transcript. Our state requires quite a lot of subjects to be taught every single year (think state history or geography etc.) - but I don't think we are doing a complete "credit" in some of these subjects, whatever that is (the state is vague about how much of a subject needs to be taught). I am thinking of putting together a separate detailed transcript that emphasizes the focus of our homeschool learning that we would use for private school applications next year where I drop some of the less substantial subjects. Or would a private school expect the transcript I submit to the state (where "state history" is on the same level of detail as our very advanced math/science/programming/foreign languages/English lit and writing etc curriculum)? I don't want the private school to get the wrong idea about the kid...Now technically, I think we don't have to submit a transcript to the district at all to comply with state law, so perhaps I just shouldn't (but might get into trouble with the school district - which I would prefer to avoid as they are a mess).

I owned/administered a PSP for many years in California. On my transcripts, I only included things that colleges and schools could relate to. At the high school level, we usually did six or seven classes each semester, with titles that colleges and schools could relate to (I include "schools" because some of my students transferred to public or private schools). No one needs to know every.single.thing that you do with your dc, and they don't care, or have any idea, what might or might not be required for private homeschoolers.  Just keep that transcript simple and easy to read and understand.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Ellie said:

I owned/administered a PSP for many years in California. On my transcripts, I only included things that colleges and schools could relate to. At the high school level, we usually did six or seven classes each semester, with titles that colleges and schools could relate to (I include "schools" because some of my students transferred to public or private schools). No one needs to know every.single.thing that you do with your dc, and they don't care, or have any idea, what might or might not be required for private homeschoolers.  Just keep that transcript simple and easy to read and understand.

I totally agree with this. But also, if your student is applying to competitive schools - especially competitive high schools and especially in places where lots of students compete for those spots or boarding schools that draw really competitive applications - in working with students who are going that route, I'd advise that you do err on the side of more and not less. Which is not to say it needs to look like the state's regulations at all. But don't underestimate what you do. Find ways to explain it in course descriptions, in a short statement about your school like a school profile, or on the transcript. Especially for middle school, you can make up how you do it. And it can include "mini" classes or credits if that makes sense.

• Thanks 1

Thank you so much! This is all very useful. For courses that we outsource, I may simply include the course syllabi (and note on the transcript the course, a on or two line description and provider, and say "see attached for syllabus"). Of course, this might also mean that they will get a lot of information - but perhaps more is indeed better given the likely hesitancy towards homeschoolers (DS has taken a course with one of the teachers there, so we are hopeful that he will at least get a good look). Thanks also for the idea of mini-courses - we do indeed have a lot of intense bursts of (often initially unplanned) activity that don't quite qualify for a separate full credit but are important learning experiences nevertheless.

Yes, this is a competitive private school. Not sure if we will apply more broadly yet, or consider online schools for high school.