Menu

Best liter trapper for long haired cats?

Murphy101

That’s my question. Molly and Maxwell are now free range at night so the cat box is not in my master bathroom anymore. But because they have long fur the liter sticks to their feet longer and gets everywhere. We vacuum daily bc of it. I’d love love love to find a machine or hose washable mat of some kind at least 2x3 ft that their huge fluffy paws would sink into enough to take the liter off before they leave the cat cabinets where the boxes are. 

Please tell me what you have found that works for you!

ETA: important note. The area the trapper will be is a high quality by up planking. Some I looked at on Amazon had reviews that said it ruined the hard floor underneath. Yikes.

ETA2: I will swap review suggestions. Those cat calm collars are the bomb. 9/10 for smell and effectiveness. A month ago I bought this 3 pack for 3/4 of my cats and total game changer in less than a day.  Katniss and Purrl still aren’t BFF with Maxwell and Molly, but they can be in the same room now with little and usually no arguing. 
Calming Collar

Edited by Murphy101

46 minutes ago, katilac said:

Nothing works. Nothing, I tell you! 

A robo vac will help. I have a cheap 'dumb' one, and for some reason it picks up litter better than the big vacuum. Like, not the pile that the cat kicks out, but the small scattered bits. 

Well dang.  It doesn’t help they are huge cats. Maxwell weighs in at 15lbs and Molly is 13.5lbs.  

23 minutes ago, Alte Veste Academy said:

It took a while, but I got all 5 of our kitties to switch over to Breeze pellet system. I'm in heaven now. It is so easy to care for and no more litter everywhere.

Sorry. Not an answer to your question, but a thought...

Oh, I did forget about the Breeze system. They can still kick it out of the box, you will find pellets here and there, but it's not tracked all over and it's not dusty. 

Only one out of eight cats would use it in my house, though (the one in my avatar, RIP Hello Kitty). Not suitable for cats that have messy or smelly poop (the poop just sits on top till you scoop it).  It's pretty expensive. 

But it does come close to solving the tracking problem, and it handles the urine smell very well. 

We tried one like this many years ago, and the design was great, but one cat refused to step on it and started peeing in the tub instead 🤷‍♀️  So that was that and we use it as an outdoor mat where it works well. https://www.amazon.com/Pieviev-Anti-Tracking-Honeycomb-Waterproof-Furniture/dp/B01MTQNK6H/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?crid=9DQ3HN9NP130&keywords=litter+trapper+mat&qid=1652501160&sprefix=litter+trapper+mat%2Caps%2C146&sr=8-3

Now we have one made of this kind of material, but I think it would be better if it was bigger. We use an open topped bin our cat jumps in and out of and a little litter flies out when she jumps, so the litter that escapes the mat area is still an issue  https://www.amazon.com/UPSKY-Premium-Scatter-Control-Sensitive/dp/B07CBHPBZX/ref=mp_s_a_1_10?crid=9DQ3HN9NP130&keywords=litter+trapper+mat&qid=1652501160&sprefix=litter+trapper+mat%2Caps%2C146&sr=8-10