Menu

How could I train my puppy...

Jann in TX

We have a 7 month old 'coon hound mix' puppy.  Besides chewing everything he can (baseboards, WALLS! shoes...) he is a sweet guy.

Our middle daughter has a seizure disorder (non epileptic) and extreme narcolepsy with catalepsy... she is constantly seizing or passing out (falling 'asleep' then dropping to floor).   Dr's have been of very little help...

Anyways--- puppy KNOWS right before DD starts having a seizure or passing out episode.  Today she was attempting to take GS (her 2 yr old son) up the stairs for a nap when puppy stopped her from opening the gate on the stairs.  He just quietly REFUSED to move-- seconds later dd had a seizure (luckily GS landed on top of her when she dropped!).  Puppy stayed by her side and then quickly moved over her legs as she started to come to (about 2 minutes later).  Puppy would not let DD get up-- she attempted to move him when she had a more severe seizure and passed out again!  Puppy then sat next to her quietly (he is a WIGGLE WORM normally) until she came too and THEN he let her up.

Ever since we brought him home he has been able to 'tell' that she was going to have a seizure....How can we take advantage of this and train him so we can recognize his signals?

• Like 4

You will probably need to get assistance through a service dog training organization such as Medical Mutts, as they can teach YOU how to train your dog to alert to her seizures. The Epilepsy Foundation has links and info for more of these dog service training programs, so you might be able to find a trainer to help you in your area.

The process usually involves training the dog to do certain behaviors when the dog senses the seizure coming. This is coupled with training the human to recognize that the dog is alerting, and to respond by laying down to be safe during the seizure. The dog can also be trained to perform other services such as:

- lie down against the person during the seizure to prevent injury, and to provide comfort
- go get help
- press a button to call 9-1-1, or a relative
- retrieve medication, food, or a drink and bring it to the person after the seizure
- act as a brace to help the still-woozy-from-seizure person get up

That is fabulous that her dog is alerting naturally! I urge you to see some professional training to really hone this natural instinct, and to be able to "add value" to what the dog is already doing. Here's a quick article on what the process of training might look like.

Edited by Lori D.
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

It sounds like his signal is refusing to let DD move from whatever place/position she is in. I think you don't need to train him so much as yourselves and especially DD to recognize his body posture and "energy". For example, did he stiffen up, stop wagging his tail, stare directly at her, or other behaviours that are not his usual personality. Was he already at the gate, or did he run in front of her at the last moment, etc.

Keep a notepad and pen and make notes as soon after the event as possible so you can start to recognize a pattern.

ETA: I forgot to say what a smart pooch you have! He sounds like a real blessing for your family.

Edited by fraidycat
  • Like 5

7 minutes ago, fraidycat said:

It sounds like his signal is refusing to let DD move from whatever place/position she is in. I think you don't need to train him so much as yourselves and especially DD to recognize his body posture and "energy". For example, did he stiffen up, stop wagging his tail, stare directly at her, or other behaviours that are not his usual personality. Was he already at the gate, or did he run in front of her at the last moment, etc.

Keep a notepad and pen and make notes as soon after the event as possible so you can start to recognize a pattern.

ETA: I forgot to say what a smart pooch you have! He sounds like a real blessing for your family.

We have an open-concept lower level (dogs do not go upstairs-- that is the cats' realm!).  We have noticed puppy quickly moving from one area to where DD is just before a seizure...  Today he ran over to get between her and the gate.

He is usually SPASTIC (high energy)-- but gets slow and 'reserved' when he is sensing her.

• Like 5