Menu

Changes already for the 2022/2023 year

alysee

With a new baby arriving just before the start of the 2022/2023 year I have decided to really pair down my expectations and capabilities for myself and kids this year, so we have changed a few things that we had planned. 

The 5th and 7th graders will be more independent. For math they will still be using CTC Math. For writing they will be using the new IEW Structure & Style. They will also be participating in various Outschool classes as they want to. They both also have various hobbies they will be pursuing such as baking, knitting, sewing, nature study and art. 

The 4th graders will only have All about Spelling, NightZookeeper, Coding, Typing, CTC Math.

We scrapped the Bookshark idea and any unit studies. We will just be reading from various fiction and nonfiction books as a family. 

I trust they will still be learning so I have no issues with this very relaxed approach. 

Edited by alysee
  • Like 5

On 5/5/2022 at 6:17 AM, alysee said:

With a new baby arriving just before the start of the 2022/2023 year I have decided to really pair down my expectations and capabilities for myself and kids this year, so we have changed a few things that we had planned. 

The 5th and 7th graders will be more independent. For math they will still be using CTC Math. For writing they will be using the new IEW Structure & Style. They will also be participating in various Outschool classes as they want to. They both also have various hobbies they will be pursuing such as baking, knitting, sewing, nature study and art. 

The 4th graders will only have All about Spelling, NightZookeeper, Coding, Typing, CTC Math.

We scrapped the Bookshark idea and any unit studies. We will just be reading from various fiction and nonfiction books as a family. 

I trust they will still be learning so I have no issues with this very relaxed approach. 

Have you used Night Zookeeper before? If so, I’m wondering what you think of it. Obviously you like it or you wouldn’t be using it again but I’m just wondering if you’ve used it before and for you to tell me more about it.

40 minutes ago, Janeway said:

Have you used Night Zookeeper before? If so, I’m wondering what you think of it. Obviously you like it or you wouldn’t be using it again but I’m just wondering if you’ve used it before and for you to tell me more about it.

My two youngest school aged kids love it! They are both 9yrs old. It has allowed them to feel like writing can be fun which is all I want at their age. Next year will be our third year using it. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/11/2022 at 12:44 AM, Janeway said:

We tried Night Zookeeper and my kids got sick of it very, very quickly. Age 9 boy and age 11 girl. They're both good writers though but I wanted to extend my boy's quantity - it didn't really help at all. 

• Thanks 1