Menu

French 2 help! (and photography)

I am looking for a rigorous high school path for French Language and Culture. My rising ninth grader is ready for French 2 and The WellTrainedMind Academy is completely full. Where can we take French that will provide a true World Language experience? TPS French was absolutely amazing: reading, listening, writing, speaking and French culture and opportunity to participate in the National French Exam.  The Potter's School is not an option at this time.

I am also looking for a photography course for next year. Just throwing that out there.

Thank you for your help.

If French is a real interest of your daughter’s, you might also carefully consider whether she could stretch herself and take a French 3 class.  It might require a bit of self-study over the summer, but if she’s changing textbooks, it might be good to plan for that anyway.

In your shoes I’d look at CLRC’s French classes.  My daughter has done Spanish and Russian with them.  She is very picky about language instruction, but she’s been happy with CLRC.  The only reason we didn’t look at them for French was that she was already beyond French 3 when she decided to take an online group class.  

BTW, my daughter has been impressed with the French skills of her classmates in WTMA French 4/5.  Maybe ask about their waitlists?  Even if the waitlist is full, let them know of your interest.  They do try to add new sections over the summer if there is enough interest.

Edited by jplain

Thanks for the great advice. I also scoured the Foreign Language thread that is pinned above. I got on the wait list for WTM and enrolled in the French Culture club. I also reached out to CLRC. What a great provider!! They were so responsive and wonderful. I had never explored their offerings before. CLRC might be able to work something out for my son.

The one thought I had with AIM academy is that the class is only for one hour one time a week and my student has been used to 3+ hours of French interaction/instruction each week plus the work he does on his own to study/homework/learn... so it seemed like not enough for him. 

Grateful for this board!

-Rebecca

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Farrar said:

Aim also has a French club... or they did this year... so that might provide more practice time. Aim's French is not intensive, but it is really strong. Agreeing that CLRC would be the other solid option.

This is good to know. Thank you!

18 hours ago, Farrar said:

Oh, and my kid took photography as a dual enrollment course. I had trouble finding it anywhere else. Fundafunda has it though, so that would be one option I'm aware of. 

Thank you for this. I was also considering Udemy or other online self tutorials. I will check this out.

-Rebecca