Menu

decoupage advice needed

ktgrok

I'm enjoying printing out some cute vintage artwork (that was free to use, or that I've purchased - no pirating of images I don't have permission for), and using it as decor. I did some small 5x7 ones on small dollar store canvas and they came out ok. But I now want to do bigger ones - 11x14, and am hitting problems. Mostly REALLY bad wrinkles and such. I'm not sure if the issue is that the large stretched canvas is so flexible, so that it moves and gives/stretches as I put on the mod podge,  creating issues, OR if it is because it is porous, and I need to coat it with something first. A lot of stuff says to paint the canvas first, but not sure if that is for aesthetics or because you have to prep it. 

I have some canvas boards that I'm going to try instead of the stretched canvas to avoid the flexibility issue. But if the problem is the porous nature that won't fix it. I do know they make a special mod podge for fabric, maybe I need that instead of the regular kind?

OR - is the issue I'm using printer paper and not something thinner like a napkin? Not sure how I'd fix that, since I need to use something that will go through my printer. 

Figured I'd ask here, and if nothing else maybe someone knows of a craft forum or facebook group that I could join that might know?

Unless you’re selling it or otherwise profiting from it, it doesn’t matter if you use someone else’s work. Personal adaptation of something out there is not only totally fine, it’s been ruled legal many times. 

I’ve never had trouble with it as long as it’s a firm surface. The problem is probably the flexing. 

Decoupage is usually done on a surface like wood, not on a fabric. True decoupage uses a varnish, with multiple coats until you cannot feel the print. If you're using ModPodge on fabric, then it sounds interesting, but it isn't decoupage.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Katy said:

Unless you’re selling it or otherwise profiting from it, it doesn’t matter if you use someone else’s work. Personal adaptation of something out there is not only totally fine, it’s been ruled legal many times. 

I’ve never had trouble with it as long as it’s a firm surface. The problem is probably the flexing. 

I just mean, like taking something that is for sale and making a screen shot instead of paying the $1.50 to download it or whatever. If someone went to the trouble to draw it and is selling it, I don't want to take it for free. 

• Like 3