Menu

IEW in high school - sufficient prep for college?

Hi, I was wondering if IEW's Structure and Style high school program would be sufficient preparation for college-level writing? 

Our son is behind somewhat on writing. We are considering either IEW

*or*

WWS 1-3 for freshman, sophomore, and junior years, then following up with New Oxford Guide for senior year (as recommended in TWTM 4th edition).

He will be entering 9th grade this fall. 

Thank you in advance!

I haven't looked at the IEW besides in passing, and we never actually got beyond WWS1, and then one of mine did the New Oxford Guide after WWS 1 (along with writing across the curriculum as in WTM like the summaries, history in context papers, outlining, etc.) She took a college concurrent enrollment writing class her senior year and made president's honor roll, so I think at least your 2nd path is enough, even if you don't do it all.  I am sure if the IEW is written for high school it is good too.  I have always found his workshops to be highly helpful, but haven't ever actually bought his products.  ETA... I have actually bought the spelling which my student with spelling difficulties is using as review.  I meant I haven't purchased the writing, though I have drooled over them. 

Edited by 2_girls_mommy

We bought IEW's Structure and Style hoping it would help our reluctant writer, and I cannot recommend it.  I think it does a rather clunky job and focuses on bits rather than big picture.

We also own Writing with Skill levels 1 & 2. I think it does a much better job of treating writing, but it can also be really overwhelming to the struggling student.

Honestly, now that I have a kid in college and another in high school, I think the best thing to do is to just getting them writing. Have him write an opinion piece, and focus on grammar and mechanics. Have him write a researched piece on an issue, in an area of interest, and have him properly document his sources in text and in a bibliography.  Do that interspersed with bits of Writing with Skill and I think you will have a student ready for college writing.

• Like 2

We are using IEW for the first time this year with my 6th grader. My oldest used WWS 1 in 6th. I think either plan will successfully get a student ready for college writing-- WWS and IEW are very different. IEW spends a lot of time on the details. Some students need this and others it would drive crazy. WWS is wonderful, but may not be enough handholding for reluctant writers. IEW has been great for my dd but I cannot imagine using it every year. It is so much. A couple of years of it and we will move on to Lantern English which is what my older kids have used. I do think the foundation it is laying is fantastic. 

My oldest used IEW in addition to VP's Omnibus I-III in high school. She'd also used R&S English up through middle school for grammar, and the VP program teaches the Progymnasmata (but not throughly). She did SWI B and C (now SSS B and C) and I did TWSS. She also did a handful of other IEW programs such as High School Essay Intensive, Elegant Essays, Windows to the World, etc. 

In college, one of her professors thought so highly of her writing abilities he hired her to assist struggling students in his classes to write coherent college papers. Later, while working as a copy editor and writer, she was asked to write her company's style guide. So yes,  think I think IEW is sufficient preparation for college level writing. 

2nd child did the same IEW classes and was accepted to 6 universities, though has decided on a different path in life, he was able to complete 21 dual credit hours before graduating high school, 6 in English, and scored As in both English classes.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2