Menu

Still waiting for 2020 tax refund (small but wth!) Anyone else ?

TravelingChris

Because I was in very bad health last Spring, we knew we  were going to be late filing and did an IRS extension and sent a check with that extension which was cashed.  Our return was received on June 3rd.  We are supposed to be getting a refund of slightly less than $125/  Up until January, it was showing as still being processed but then it disappeared since they were getting ready to show statuses of the 2021 returns.  

I haven\t called our accountant and we aren't ready to file yet so maybe it will be a moot point by then, but what about the missing refund and the new return. Last I heard in mid to late January was that we are part of the 6 million who have not gotten refunds yet. And there is nothing bizarre or strange about our return.  Yes, we itemize but we don't have a complicated return.  

But it really is making me not even want to start on the parts of the tax stuff I still have to do with this issue still hanging over us.

Yes, we had a problem getting ours processed. We sent it (in Feb 2021) with return receipt/signature required and it took months with no acknowledgment that our return was received. Our refund was a significant amount of money. We contacted our US Senator (in June) who was able to work with a manager in the IRS to eventually locate and process our return. It was not a quick process but I believe contacting our senator helped bring resolution. We received our refund in late September. We filed electronically this year and received our refund in a few days. 

I would do your 2021 taxes as normal.  I do my dad’s taxes and he got his 2020 refund back before his 2019 refund, which I filed at the end of his extension. It is taking forever to get my in-laws 2020 return, but they passed not long after we sent it in and that caused problems.  They finally mailed the refund check instead of direct deposit like we asked.  And…it will go through mail forwarding. 

For our 2020, we owed for the first time in forever.  I made a mistake in writing the check (both of my in- laws had just passed and we were hanging in by a thread).  I sent in a check for the extra money and they have just recently sent a letter saying they received my paperwork and they are processing the information.  They cashed both checks right away.

They are so incredibly backlogged.  They do not answer the phone.  Everyone is aware of the problem so I’m not sure writing your senator will make any difference.

• Like 2

I just checked  the IRS website.  It appears they actually did do our return back in late June, 2020  but even though what their records show that we are owed is the same as what our records show that we are owed, they have not sent us our check from back in June plus they had the notice on where is my refund up till Dec that they were still processing.  

7 minutes ago, TravelingChris said:

I just checked  the IRS website.  It appears they actually did do our return back in late June, 2020  but even though what their records show that we are owed is the same as what our records show that we are owed, they have not sent us our check from back in June plus they had the notice on where is my refund up till Dec that they were still processing.  

My dad’s did that too.  Said being processed and then awhile later it wasn’t.  Then it was again and he got his refund.  Just do the 2021 and the 2020 check will get there at some point.  We are waiting for a lot of money for my in-laws.  Now with the 2021 returns coming in, you won’t get through to them.  I would just move forward.  Based on your info, it seems you did them correctly last year.