Menu

CV vs resume

Mrs Tiggywinkle

I have been asked to sit on a state council but they require a CV for the vetting process. I have a nice resume but not a CV.  I’ve googled, but they all seem to focus on academic achievements and such. My academic papers and publications are all 20 years old and irrelevant and I don’t have professional anything in my job. Any suggestions on how to write this? Google is failing me.

CV can mean different things in different contexts.  Usually:  

CV = Listing of academic accomplishments, publications, work experience.  Chronological and complete, just the facts.  Not tailored to any particular job or position.  

Resume = highlights of past experience and skills that are relevant for a particular job you are applying for.

Edited by wathe
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, wathe said:

CV can mean different things in different contexts.  

CV = Listing of academic accomplishments, publications, work experience.  Chronological and complete, just the facts.  Not tailored to any particular job or position.  

Resume = highlights of past experience and skills that are relevant for a particular job you are applying for.

Yes. They want the accomplishments/publications/work experience CV.  I don’t know how to write That when all I have is work experience. I don’t think philosophy papers on the theory of mind published in 2002 count.

2 minutes ago, Mrs Tiggywinkle said:

Yes. They want the accomplishments/publications/work experience CV.  I don’t know how to write That when all I have is work experience. I don’t think philosophy papers on the theory of mind published in 2002 count.

Yes, those papers do count.  Put them in.  It's a life summary (literally "course of life")

All formal education from highschool graduation onward - include all college, include all professional training and certification (paramedic certification, any extra certifications like ACLS, ATLS or medic equivalents).  Include maintenance of certification and continuing education.  All professional publications, even if they are old.  Include non-professional publications too - newspaper/media articles etc (IIRC, you had one of those recently?).  Include advocacy and volunteer work.  Include all relevant work experience.

• Like 6

I am not sure what all they are looking for on the state council, but your items from 20 years ago that are not related to your current professional position may still be relevant.  They may want to know about the breadth of your background.  They may also want to make sure that there is not something from the past that could be problematic or raise questions regarding your serving in this capacity.  

2 hours ago, Bootsie said:

Different people use the term CV differently, but traditionally it can be much longer than two pages.  I think many people have started using the term CV as a synonym for resume.  

I've definitely seen CVs that are much longer than 2 pages, bc those people had that many relevant items to list, even leaving off or consolidating early publications and such. 

In this context, I would expect a CV to list the article you recently published, along with any talks you have given.