Menu

In Search of Ruled Paper (Wider than Wide-Ruled, but not the K-2 Handwriting Pads)

mathmarm

Jr wants to be able to write more neatly in math, but it's frustratingly too hard for him to keep the expressions contained and legible in the bounds of a wide ruled paper. He doesn't want to use K-2 paper.

I've found steno-pads that have wider rulings, but the size of paper is awkward for him.

I've found printable versions but the margins are wonky and he hated them.

Where can I find 8.5 x 11 sheets of paper with wider rules?

Edited by mathmarm

• mathmarm changed the title to In Search of Ruled Paper (Wider than Wide-Ruled, but not the K-2 Handwriting Pads)

It's going to have margins, but I'd play around with printing your own.  We used excel, making the boxes the correct size and telling it to 'print gridlines' but you could also use the 'insert table' function in Word.  If you only want horizontal lines, just have it be 1 column wide, or make a super-narrow column on the left to put the problem number in and then a wide column to hold the work.  You can adjust margins so that they aren't as wide as the usual 1 inch, but usually you can't print all the way to the edge of the paper.  I have a kid who makes a lot of 'cheat sheets' for science olympiad and they try to maximize the use of the paper but different printers have different limits about how close they can get to the edge. Usually they can get it under 1/2 or even 1/4 inch, though.  

If you are using excel, you could also set rows at different heights so that you had a narrower row above the main one for exponents, or you could modify them to hold fractions.  One of my kids had some issues where their writing lagged behind their math abilities and I wound up printing grid paper to help them keep their rows and columns straight (and as a biology teacher students use them to work on problems where they use a DNA sequence to figure out the RNA and protein sequences - they need to keep everything lined up).  

• Like 1

https://smile.amazon.com/Extra-Wide-Ruled-Notebook-Sheets-Margins-Inches/dp/B08XN7HXLW/ref=sr_1_6?crid=MOO6ULATPP07&keywords=pitman+ruled+notebook&qid=1644074427&sprefix=Pitman+rul%2Caps%2C120&sr=8-6

Like that?

The keyword you want to search for is Pitman ruled which is is half inch spacing (college ruled is 9/32, wide ruled is 11/32).

• Like 1

Thank you all for the many suggestions! I've order the Pitman ruled paper on Amazon! I'd tried to find printable Pitman Ruled paper but the margins weren't that great!

@Clemsondana Can you share the measurements that you like for your self-made paper on Excel?

I'm interested in making rows of different heights so that the exponents are aligned neatly.

Sorry - it's been almost a decade since I needed to make anything.  My kids are middle/high school and these days prefer using grid paper notebooks for their math.  At the time, I just played around and printed a couple of sizes until I found what worked.  Maybe print a page of varying size fonts and see what compares closest to your kid's writing and then use whatever that fits into comfortably.