Menu

chalk paint?

ktgrok

We got a great litter box enclosure but it is bright white, and nothing else in that part of the house is white. I'd like to use it as my first chalk paint project, and if that goes well perhaps refinish some of the other turniture in the room that is a bit beat up. 

Trying to decide on a color or colors is hard though!

I don't think I want that super distressed look, more farmhouse than shabby chic. I love using red for say, throw pillows, bankets, etc but don't want to do red furniture I don't think, as matching various reds is always a pain. I don't want super dark, but too light and will show every bit of dirt, I assume? 

I figure this is a chance to play a bit with color, and liked some greens, but remembered DH is red/green color blind and might like a color he can see properly. I'm thinking a blueish grey maybe? Or maybe a two toned thing? Thoughts on favorite colors and color combinations? If I redo the TV console as well I like the lighter on the bottom, dark gel stain on top look I think...thoughts? Photos? Inspiration?

I found this and think I like it - might look nice with some yellow room accents? image.png.49d8b77aaf2ff702e562c3ff1b6bafb0.png

Edited by ktgrok

For a the cat box, I wouldn't use chalk paint. I would want it to be something very washable! But for an entertainment stand that people don't usually touch, then sure! Go for it! 

If you have kids who run around with sweaty/greasy hands, I would avoid chalk paint. It can absorb some oils even with a top coat. It isn't super durable, but most people aren't needing an entertainment center to have a super durable finish. Unless it has doors/drawers that people are in all the time, then I guess I would change my answer. 

My older kids were just naturally clean people and I coud do anything with reguards to my house with them (I even had silk couch pillow with no problem for years). DD15, leave a trail of grime whereverr she goes. She  is one to run her hands along the walls, is terrible at using napkins or washing her hands. She often has hands that have dirt, grease, sweat or food on them and wipes them on anything she touches. Walls, furiture, pillows, carpet, clothes etc. She leaves dishes, glasses, mugs, washclcothes, towels, clothing....whatever on top of anything or on any surface. I would never, ever do chalk paint on anything with her in my house.  My older kids.....sure! Her...no way!

It is super charming tho, so I understand the appeal. 💜Just make sure you can undo it if needed. Some finishes are going to be harder than others to change later. 

6 minutes ago, Tap said:

For a the cat box, I wouldn't use chalk paint. I would want it to be something very washable! But for an entertainment stand that people don't usually touch, then sure! Go for it! 

If you have kids who run around with sweaty/greasy hands, I would avoid chalk paint. It can absorb some oils even with a top coat. It isn't super durable, but most people aren't needing an entertainment center to have a super durable finish. Unless it has doors/drawers that people are in all the time, then I guess I would change my answer. 

My older kids were just naturally clean people and I coud do anything with reguards to my house with them (I even had silk couch pillow with no problem for years). DD15, leave a trail of grime whereverr she goes. She  is one to run her hands along the walls, is terrible at using napkins or washing her hands. She often has hands that have dirt, grease, sweat or food on them and wipes them on anything she touches. Walls, furiture, pillows, carpet, clothes etc. She leaves dishes, glasses, mugs, washclcothes, towels, clothing....whatever on top of anything or on any surface. I would never, ever do chalk paint on anything with her in my house.  My older kids.....sure! Her...no way!

It is super charming tho, so I understand the appeal. 💜Just make sure you can undo it if needed. Some finishes are going to be harder than others to change later. 

Can you touch it up as needed? 

1 minute ago, Scarlett said:

Do you order that direct?

or buy it in stores, at least some colors. 

13 minutes ago, ktgrok said:

Can you touch it up as needed? 

or buy it in stores, at least some colors. 

Kind of. 

When you use chalk paint and finish it the traditional way with wax, you spread the chalk paint and then apply a wax. The wax has to be reappliled every few years, and the coating makes chalk paint harder to touch up. Once the item is waxed it is hard to fix problem areas. Wax is not durable coating and if you set something wet on it, it can soak through to the paint, leaving a ring. 

Chalk paint  is easy to apply/wax, but wax takes about a month to cure. An alterntive is to use a poly coat, so make sure to look at this option vs the wax. The wax is part of the soft look but other alternatives are available. Varathane comes in different finishes, and can be used. Look into this option if you chose chalk paint.  

Chalk paint comes in limited colors, but laxes is almost limitless. I would look into ways to create the chalk paint look, with latex for durablitly. Chalk paint is thick and you are supposed to have brush marks with it. That is why it is more forgiving than other paints, but also harder to repaint into another style later (without sanding completely and starting over). This texture is part of why you can sand and almost flake off bits to give a rustic look. There are other ways to get this look and durablity too. .

1 hour ago, Tap said:

Kind of. 

When you use chalk paint and finish it the traditional way with wax, you spread the chalk paint and then apply a wax. The wax has to be reappliled every few years, and the coating makes chalk paint harder to touch up. Once the item is waxed it is hard to fix problem areas. Wax is not durable coating and if you set something wet on it, it can soak through to the paint, leaving a ring. 

Chalk paint  is easy to apply/wax, but wax takes about a month to cure. An alterntive is to use a poly coat, so make sure to look at this option vs the wax. The wax is part of the soft look but other alternatives are available. Varathane comes in different finishes, and can be used. Look into this option if you chose chalk paint.  

Chalk paint comes in limited colors, but laxes is almost limitless. I would look into ways to create the chalk paint look, with latex for durablitly. Chalk paint is thick and you are supposed to have brush marks with it. That is why it is more forgiving than other paints, but also harder to repaint into another style later (without sanding completely and starting over). This texture is part of why you can sand and almost flake off bits to give a rustic look. There are other ways to get this look and durablity too. .

I was thinking of doing the rustoleum clear coat made for chalk paint - it's not a wax, and is supposed to work well. And can be painted over, since it isn't a wax. I'd only do the outside of the enclosure, not the inside, so not too worried about that part. 

I may start with the kitchen table though - just the base, to get a feel for things. Heck, might start with the old wood stool in the kitchen and the super cheap end table we bought that matches nothing, then go from there, lol. 

I have painted furniture with latex before, but really want to try something different. 

If I like it, I may do some other furniture that is beat up, and do a gel stain on the top that is dark, to sort of go with the dark wood in the adjacent room - kind of carry it more into the rest of the house. Not sure. I just know our furniture in the family room is pretty dated color wise and we've been talking about getting more adventurous. 

The varathane water based polyurethane will give you a much more durable finish than the matte clear coat.  The chalk paint stuff is fine for vertical surfaces, but if you're going to set things on it or sit on a stools definitely go with the varathane.  I did a hutch with it 10 years ago that still looks great-just sold it a couple days ago actually.  We also have a bread box done with it.  That one is only 5ish years old but has stood up to daily use.

Latex is too soft when cured to be a good choice on furniture, but I think pp might have meant using it under the poly.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Syllieann said:

The varathane water based polyurethane will give you a much more durable finish than the matte clear coat.  The chalk paint stuff is fine for vertical surfaces, but if you're going to set things on it or sit on a stools definitely go with the varathane.  I did a hutch with it 10 years ago that still looks great-just sold it a couple days ago actually.  We also have a bread box done with it.  That one is only 5ish years old but has stood up to daily use.

Latex is too soft when cured to be a good choice on furniture, but I think pp might have meant using it under the poly.

oh, yeah, I was looking at poly for table tops - things drinks would go on, etc. The stool is just a guinea pig, lol.