Menu

Plant science for 4th grader

Tld2

The science curriculum we started the year out with flopped.  We're moving on and my daughter is requesting that we study plants.  She's very hands on and I think she's wanting to grow things herself.....probably lots of things!  She's had a small garden in the past so it's not a new concept to her at all and with spring coming, the timing seems ideal.  But we need some structure.   Any curriculum or ideas that we could work off of? 

1 hour ago, Rosie_0801 said:

There are some free permaculture courses online, none of which I've done so can't recommend. You could combine that with Ellen McHenry's botany course and a book on edible weeds.

Oooo....edible weeds!  She'd love that!  Thanks for the ideas.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

My dd enjoyed Ellen McHenry's Botany in 8 Lessons.  The book has Level 1 and Level 2, so it can be done with kids as young as 8 and also older.  It has a lot of activities and you can also download more in the plants section under "free downloads" on her website.

You can also use Green Thumbs for some easy plant activities.

With my ds, we loved Smithsonian's Trees, Leaves, Flowers and Seeds visual encyclopedia!!  Also, The Tree Book for Kids and Their Grown-Ups is another favorite of ours.