Menu

My ramblings about KFC and their suspicious new nuggets

Indigo Blue

6 hours ago, MEmama said:

FYI both Impossible Burger and Beyond Meat products are made with coconut oil. DH is highly allergic to coconut so we’ve never tried them; DS tried one and declared it meh (he had never eaten a meat burger). There are a number of faux meat products that we really like so we were (mildly) disappointed we couldn’t try these.

I thought I’d put that out there for anyone else with a coconut allergy— it can be really hard to find products that don’t use it nowadays. 

I have eaten Beyond Meat burgers only once, that too because of the hype that the company's stock made in the stock market and after listening to seemingly every analyst rave about it. I avoid any meat-lookalike product and stick to legumes, beans etc for my protein. But, this was an exception to see what the hype was about - the burger had a pinkish tinge (from beet juice) and it would not change color with cooking, still looked pink afterwards and I did not like the fact that the finished product resembled uncooked meat visually, so I stick to Black Bean burgers now.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

11 minutes ago, stephanier.1765 said:

It seems to me every time I find a vegan dessert it also says gluten free. I've always wondered why it had to be both. My best guess was it's appeal to 2 groups at once.

There is absolutely no reason a vegan dessert must be gluten free. You can bake with normal flour, just swap out the dairy and eggs for vegan ingredients.
This is a way of catching two groups of dietary restrictions at once - and of offering a treat to the group of gluten-free vegans, who pretty much never find anything commercially prepared that is fit for them to eat 🙂

• Like 3

1 minute ago, regentrude said:

There is absolutely no reason a vegan dessert must be gluten free. You can bake with normal flour, just swap out the dairy and eggs for vegan ingredients.
This is a way of catching two groups of dietary restrictions at once - and of offering a treat to the group of gluten-free vegans, who pretty much never find anything commercially prepared that is fit for them to eat 🙂

Yep! You can’t imagine how excited my kids get when we find something that ticks all the boxes. Seriously, anything packaged and purchased at a store is a huge surprise and a treat. When we find something we all can eat, we order it by the case! 😊

—Notes from the wheat, cow/sheep/goat dairy, egg, peanut, tree nut, sesame, avocado, banana, lentil, shellfish, some random food additive allergic family with one celiac member to boot. Real anaphylactic allergies. 

• Like 1