Menu

Masterly inactivity?

GWOB

We just started homeschooling last Monday. Things have been great. We are all still alive. No one has collapsed into fits of rage or exhaustion. It's been suprisingly wonderful.

One problem. We are usually done by 11:30, which is great, but what do we do for the resy of the day? We have lunch around noon. I kick the kids out of the house unless its <20 degrees out (which it has been the last few days). After they come in we read aloud for a while (translate- until mom starts yawning and needs more caffiene). After that, I'm at a loss. I seriously thought everything we had planned would take all day.

Soooo, all you CM ladies, what is masterly inactivity? How do I implement this with my dd8 and ds5? Can you point me to some good resources, either websites or books? :bigear:

Thanks ladies!

Our afternoons are filled with a blend of piano/recorder/arts/crafts/library/knitting/legos/dolls/puzzles/board games/creative pursuits/dance praise/cooking by the teens/computer programming/photography/chores/foreign language

If the kids dare say that they are "bored" I hand them a stack of index cards with pre-written chores and ask them to choose one or two :bigear:

Be thankful you are done by noon. My two middle ones are generally, but ds10 slogs on after

noon. I would love for him to have more free time.

It is important for kids to learn to occupy themselves. Kids in school don't learn how to

keep themselves busy, with yours at home they have that opportunity to learn. I would shy away

from anything that involves you providing activities , or even coming up with ideas for what they

can do. If mine ever say they are bored, then I give them a blank stare - I have absolutely NO

ideas (!). Obviously you can plan the occasional field trip, museum, or zoo outing, but make

sure they have plenty of free time where they learn to entertain themselves.

Thanks for the replies. I do find that my kiddos have a hard time entertaining themselves. This is definitely something we will work on. I have seen some improvement in the two weeks they've been home. One night all three of them spent hours setting up what can best be described as a shopping center upstairs. They had a library, joke shop, grocery store, and all kinds of other shops. Apparently I'm invited to the grand opening on Christmas Eve.

We do have things to do here. We have a piano they enjoy playing. We live on 8 acres, so there is never a lack of outdoor activities. There are always books, both personal and library, around.

I guess I was wondering what the CM ladies do as far as handicrafts and such. I have got to be the world's least crafty person ever. I can't sew on a button, and quite honestly, I don't care. My dh is the one who operates the sewing machine. I'm not coordinated enough to knit. I can't walk in a straight line, much less draw in one. I love CM ideas, but that whole handicrafts and masterly inactivity stuff just gets me.

but to me, the most important thing is to have some lessons in artistic things (like drawing, or watercolor, or musical instruments, or embroidery), and also having really good quality materials freely available, and easy to get at.

Also, I like to have mostly very openended toys and materials. For instance, refrigerator boxes are outstandingly useful to kids, for building castles, ships, forts, clubhouses, etc. They do need some help with cutting, and they should have some washable paints and maybe some colored masking tape, but that is mostly all they need to exercise their creativity.

Kapla blocks are amazing. Some books of instruction that contain beautifully photographed Kapla projects are inspiring but not prescriptive.

When they learn to knit, get them good needles and yarn so that they experience the pleasure of doing it easily and ending up with something that has a nice look and feel.

I loved hearing you talk about the town that they set up. That's exactly the kind of play that I wanted my DD to have the space to do--both mentally and in terms of free time.

Play classical music in the background sometimes, just to expose them to it. I remember my mom playing Per Gynt when I was a kid. I will never forget it.

Banish screen time--it just KILLS creativity.

Play story tapes sometimes as well--SOTW CD's are great for this.

I keep a stack of construction paper, old magazines and a box of art supplies on an old shelf. DD loves to amuse herself by cutting out pieces of paper with "fancy" scissors (like pinking shears, and ones that cut in wavy lines, etc) and then writing on them. She also likes to cut out pictures from the magazines and paste them on other pieces of paper. She also has her own easel with a chalkboard, whiteboard and blank paper that she can paint or draw on, an array of musical instruments on a shelf in her room (we haven't started formal lessons yet because we haven't been able to find anyone to tune the piano), legos, tinkertoys, building blocks, and various other toys to tickle her fancy. She also has her a computer with games she can play. Mostly she spends ages in her room playing, giving dance recitals, playing "teacher", narrating stories, singing made up songs and getting as much outdoor time as possible.

My parents were very effective boredom busters. "You're bored? Here's the vacuum cleaner, get to work!" We didn't stay bored long. :tongue_smilie:

Be thankful you are done by noon. My two middle ones are generally, but ds10 slogs on after

noon. I would love for him to have more free time.

It is important for kids to learn to occupy themselves. Kids in school don't learn how to

keep themselves busy, with yours at home they have that opportunity to learn. I would shy away

from anything that involves you providing activities , or even coming up with ideas for what they

can do. If mine ever say they are bored, then I give them a blank stare - I have absolutely NO

ideas (!). Obviously you can plan the occasional field trip, museum, or zoo outing, but make

sure they have plenty of free time where they learn to entertain themselves.

:iagree: In my house any kid that tells me they are bored are given chores to do. It's amazing how well they entertain themselves! We usually do not watch TV or play video games either. They build forts or do crafts or legos or whatever.

Guest Alte Veste Academy
Soooo, all you CM ladies, what is masterly inactivity? How do I implement this with my dd8 and ds5? Can you point me to some good resources, either websites or books?

If you want the CM perspective, I would join the Ambleside Online Yahoo Group and search their archived messages on the subject. There have been many discussions there. If you do this, also be sure to search for handicrafts. You'll find so many ideas you'll never get to them all.

Everyone has rightly said that children need to learn to entertain themselves. As my grandpa used to say, "If you're bored, you're boring!" You didn't so much express that your kids were complaining of boredom, however. It sounds like you're just wanting to encourage the great habit of filling leisure time wisely and productively. How very CM! :)

I personally favor things that will likely become fulfilling, lifelong hobbies (quilting, embroidery, cooking, gardening, woodworking, photography, art, etc.). Here are some things that I love...

The Creative Family: How to Encourage Imagination and Nurture Family Connections by Amanda Blake Soule

http://www.amazon.com/Creative-Family-Encourage-Imagination-Connections/dp/1590304713/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1229053434&sr=8-1

My kids love my embroidery and I let them do some of their own, although they're mostly just learning to work the needles right now. They're getting plastic canvas doorknob hangers and placemats with skeins of yarn in their Christmas stocking this year, along with those nice, safe plastic needles. :) I'm also an avid quilter so my kids have gotten some early exposure to that as well. Quilting is really as easy as pie. I promise. (OK, everything except the Grandmother's Flower Garden quilt which I am determined to finally finish for my daughter before she marries!)

Woodshop for Kids by Jack McKee (My son is getting this book with a set of hand tools from my dad for Christmas. It is fabulous and would work for both of your older kids.)

http://www.amazon.com/Woodshop-Kids-Jack-McKee/dp/1884894534/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1229053507&sr=1-1

Some other options...

The American Girl's Handy Book

http://www.amazon.com/American-Girls-Handy-Book-Nonpareil/dp/0879236663/ref=pd_sim_b_1

The American Boy's Handy Book

http://www.amazon.com/American-Boys-Handy-Book/dp/0804839956/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1229055382&sr=8-1

Steve Caney's Ultimate Building Book

http://www.amazon.com/Steven-Caneys-Ultimate-Building-Book/dp/0762404094/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1229054092&sr=1-1

Steve Caney's Toy Book

http://www.amazon.com/Steven-Caneys-Toy-Book-Reissue/dp/0911104178/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1229054119&sr=1-2

Steve Caney's Kids America is also incredible. It's a treasure trove for me as I'm doing a two year rotation of American history starting next year. It's out of print but you can get a used copy dirt cheap.

http://www.amazon.com/Steven-Caneys-Kids-America-Caney/dp/0911104801/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1229055514&sr=1-4

Also, I don't know what history you're studying right now but I would plan some activities or provide them with materials that would bring history alive (make recipes from colonial times, fashion their own coat of arms for medieval times, etc.). That said, I do not like throwaway projects and try to avoid them as much as I can...although my daughter sure does like scissors and glue so I might have to bite my tongue as time goes on. :)

Some of the kits from the Boy Scouts are pretty great. As a matter of fact, a friend just pointed this site out to me earlier today.

http://www.scoutstuff.org/BSASupply/CtgySearchPage.aspx?c=01RTL&d=CRAFTS&page=LIST&free_text|=craftslanding&answers_per_page=15

I also really like these types of books for the kids. They're fun and crafty without being inane. Any one of these could lead to interest in bigger and better versions.

http://www.amazon.com/Twirled-Paper-Almost-Anything-Simple/dp/1570548080/ref=pd_sim_b_5 (quillwork/card making)

http://www.amazon.com/Klutz-Book-Paper-Airplanes-Stillinger/dp/1570548307/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1229055631&sr=1-1

http://www.amazon.com/Fairies-Petal-People-Yourself-Klutz/dp/1570546495/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1229055658&sr=1-1

http://www.amazon.com/Origami-Klutz-Anne-Johnson/dp/1570549974/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1229056309&sr=8-1

In addition, be sure you're spending some of your masterly inactivity time outdoors. Pack up a picnic on one of those days you finish early and head outside for lunch. (ooops...I'm in Texas so that's totally possible here any month of the year! Work it out whenever you can.) I know you said they play outside (and I envy your 8 acres!) but you being out there with them sometimes will be priceless too, as those are the moments you can gently lead their attention to things to observe in nature. I like laying on a quilt with the kids and cloud gazing. These days won't last forever.

I might encourage a journal for your daughter and nature journals for both. I also like to play beautiful music when I offer the kids art supplies. Books on tape are wonderful to listen to while creating too.

If you're doing poetry, when are you doing it? We have tea time every afternoon and do our poetry then. The kids LOVE it and it's really not a lot of trouble. We look forward to it so much that we do it on the weekends too.

Last one... I promise! Come spring, please do look for a copy of Sharon Lovejoy's Roots, Shoots, Buckets & Boots: Gardening Together with Children. It is so wonderful!

http://www.amazon.com/Roots-Shoots-Buckets-Boots-Gardening/dp/0761110569/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1229054441&sr=1-2

Good luck!

Kristina

Edited by Alte Veste Academy

And thanks to everyone else who responded. I just remembered we have a copy of The American Boy's Handy Book. Dh is looking through it right now. The kids aren't complaining of boredom, but I just want them engaged in some sort of useful activity. I will just have to get over my fear of crafty things and learn something useful right along with them.

Again, thanks for all the ideas. Luckily Christmas is coming so I have an excuse to buy kiddos some new things.

These are all great posts! I agree that your afternoons can be filled with both mom-directed meaningful work and some boredom which forces them to find things to do. (I envy your property:)) Our three children play together delightfully (mostly:)), in part because they have had five years of togetherness. It is a beautiful thing!

I have a couple of additional ideas not already posted (sorry if these are repeats...). The Story of the World is on audio CD - that, or some other long-running, serial-type listening is an excellent use of quiet time. I know you live "in the middle of nowwhere," but can you arrange regular play-dates? When our children were younger, we spent a lot of afternoons in free-play with our friends.

And I agree with a previous post-er that screentime, generally, kills creativity. However, we have found some incredible videos through Schlessinger Media

www.libraryvideo.com

The libraryvideo website has an excellent search engine. I find what I want and then I order the videos from the library. We watch all the Bill Nye videos that correspond to our science study. I just ordered an 8-DVD series on the Middle Ages that I am looking forward to watching. We watch these 23-minute videos during lunch.

We also watch longer movies that correspond to our studies. Over the years, we have watched Abraham, Moses, Cleopatra, and the kids and my husband just finished watching Camelot to correspond to our study of King Arthur (interesting conversation on THAT movie - yikes:)).

So, I have found some limited and directed screentime to be an excellent supplement to our school work. (Screentime is also a welcome, but productive, break for me:)

My children have always been home and are early elementary but afternoons are play time and they have access to:

legos

blocks

toys

books

games

puzzles

educational TV

educational websites (webkinz, PBSkids, etc)

art supplies (paper, colored pencils, scrapbooking scissors, paper punches, stickers, markers, crayons, glue, scissors, etc.)

craft supplies (felting, sewing, etc.)

They spend a lot of time creating and imagining. They play elaborate shows with their toys or dressed up. They make things like paper dolls, life sized dolls made out of paper, cards, mail, money, etc. They craft things like felted blankets for their pets, paint, etc.

When the weather is nice, we spend this time playing outdoors and discovering the nature around us. You know CM recommends going outside every day reguardless of the weather. We have field guides on hand and explore insects, plants, trees, leaves, seed pods, butterflies, flowers, etc.

Good luck in filling your afternoons. You make have to take a few months to reteach your children how to play.:001_smile: