Menu

What is out there for etymology/spelling/roots

lulalu

Looking for something for upper elementary and middle school ages that covers etymology and spelling together. My son loves languages, but struggles with English spelling rules. So is there something out there that covers etymology and spelling at the same time? I feel if he were to connect to the history of the word and roots the rules might stick easier. 

5 hours ago, lulalu said:

Looking for something for upper elementary and middle school ages that covers etymology and spelling together. My son loves languages, but struggles with English spelling rules. So is there something out there that covers etymology and spelling at the same time? I feel if he were to connect to the history of the word and roots the rules might stick easier. 

Spelling by Sound and Structure (Rod and Staff Publishers) does.

There are bits of etymology in All About Spelling, and I think there's a good bit in level 7, which is the last level. We're still in level 5, and there hasn't been enough etymology yet to please someone who was looking forward to it, but it has started coming up more often.

Meriam Websters Vocabulary Builder book is the most cost effective book for etymology that I know of. It's not too heavy on the spelling though, but it's great for etymology.

If you want something more curriculum-ish that includes spelling more directly then
Spelling By Sound and Structure is etymology and spelling at level 6 and above.
Dynamic Literacy Word Build has 2 series (one for elementary/ middle, and the other for middle/highschool)
Spelling Through Morphographs is expensive but highly effective.

I did level 3 of spelling by sound and structure when dd was in grade 3 and thought it was a year behind. It was not challenging for her. I suppose they are similar in that they have workbook exercises. The only thing I don't like about Spelling Workout is the editing section and we always skip it because I don't think kids should be looking at misspelled words but otherwise Spelling Workout is the best I've found for us. Also tried Soaring with Spelling which is probably 2 years behind, much too easy and lists are too short and no etymology there. We've also used Spelling Power, which has no etymology.

@lulalu ,  Look at the Spelling Workout sample. I think it's just what you would want.

Edited by Spirea

36 minutes ago, Spirea said:

I did level 3 of spelling by sound and structure when dd was in grade 3 and thought it was a year behind. It was not challenging for her. I suppose they are similar in that they have workbook exercises. The only thing I don't like about Spelling Workout is the editing section and we always skip it because I don't think kids should be looking at misspelled words but otherwise Spelling Workout is the best I've found for us. Also tried Soaring with Spelling which is probably 2 years behind, much too easy and lists are too short and no etymology there. We've also used Spelling Power, which has no etymology.

@lulalu ,  Look at the Spelling Workout sample. I think it's just what you would want.

Fourth grade and up of SSS are much more comprehensive. Also, with SSS isn't only about learning to spell a list of words; it does much more with the spelling words.

• Like 1

Agreeing with others that R&S spelling is good for spelling and word study/etymology. My average to above average (language arts-wise) students use it a grade level above ( i. e., 3rd grader does 4th grade book); my struggling spellers have used it at grade level at a slower pace or a grade level behind.  It is gentle, easy to use, and I especially like the 7th and 8th grade books for their etymology sections.

Edited by Zoo Keeper
  • Like 1

Etymologies begin in the fifth book.

Sixth through eighth are hardcover texts, requiring children to write on actual paper. That alone adds a level of challenge that other publishers don't have. 🙂 Also, be sure to have your dc do the writing, and not orally with you, even with fourth and fifth levels.

• Like 1