Menu

Covid booster after (distant) natural infection?

skimomma

I cannot find anything consistent on this.  Say one had Covid 8.5 months ago.  Then was vaccinated with initial (Pfizer) dose shortly after recovery with the second dose 4 weeks later.  So, it has been 7 months since the second dose after having had a mild natural infection.  This person is currently subject to a lot of risky exposure in a low-vaccine, masks-don't-exist area that is on fire right now.  

Some things I find say anyone who is fully vaccinated that had natural infection does not need a booster yet.  But I can find little on the timing of the natural infection.  Does it matter if it was before vaccination?  After?  A whole year before in the early days of the pandemic?  It seems like this would matter, right?  And while I read "not yet," I do not see advice on when it would be the right time.

Anyone know?!?!

If it were me, I'd go ahead and get it but the person in question wants to see some sort of evidence that getting it now is not premature, as in shortening the total time of maximum protection by getting it earlier than needed or that a booster at this point is redundant completely.  They also had very uncomfortable and lengthy reactions to the two initial shots so wants evidence-based direction that it will be worth it at this time.  And if not, when?  They know they are being exposed more than they are comfortable so wants to do the right thing.  I realize that there might not be any evidence available but if anyone knows of any, do let me know.

34 minutes ago, skimomma said:

redundant completely.

Very possibly. And the discussions of all the types of immunity (b cells, t cells, memory cells, antibodies, etc.) are so complex I'm not sure how we sort that out. Is there a clear lab path for assessing that?

35 minutes ago, skimomma said:

They also had very uncomfortable and lengthy reactions to the two initial shots so wants evidence-based direction that it will be worth it at this time.

I'm being told prophylactic ivermectin will shut that down. But path B would be the person doesn't screw around with the booster (since it will wear off anyway) and just takes ivermectin prophylactically once a week.

36 minutes ago, skimomma said:

They know they are being exposed more than they are comfortable so wants to do the right thing.

They just need to lay out all their paths (do nothing but have a treatment plan if you get it, take something prophylactic, take the vax with nothing, take the vax with a prophylactic, etc.) and decide what they are most comfortable with. It's politics that is telling us this answer is one size fits all when in reality we have to live with the inflammation and how our bodies respond to stuff.

There is not any great data.  This recent study was done though.  Prior infection does reduce the risk of breakthrough BUT the risk reduction is greatest in people who were infected with a longer period between infection and vaccination.  I would get a booster now if I were your friend, but I'd do the smaller Pfizer dose rather than the moderna.

https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jama/fullarticle/2

3 hours ago, Syllieann said:

There is not any great data.  This recent study was done though.  Prior infection does reduce the risk of breakthrough BUT the risk reduction is greatest in people who were infected with a longer period between infection and vaccination.  I would get a booster now if I were your friend, but I'd do the smaller Pfizer dose rather than the moderna.

https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jama/fullarticle/2

Thanks for this.

You hit on the root of the concern.  Did getting the vaccine so soon after infection risk less protection from the vaccine?  They would not have vaccinated so soon except that proof of full vaccination was required to visit a close relative in long term care that had been isolated for over a year.    

I am inclined to push for a booster now rather than wait.