Menu

Has your housing bubble burst?

Granny_Weatherwax

Agree with everything you all are saying. People are angry at the Californians for coming in and buying up all the housing in XYZ low cost of living state, driving the housing prices up, changing the culture of the place, and pushing the locals out, but they don't understand why it's happening. The investors are driving the Californians out of their homes, so the Californians are just doing the same thing in other states. We literally have nowhere to live anymore. I served my country and have a VA loan entitlement, but no one will take it here. We have a serious housing crisis in CA, and it is trickling down to other states as a result.   

• Like 3

19 hours ago, SeaConquest said:

UCSD students were told to look for housing in hotels because there wasn't enough housing available in the community for students.

My neighbor’s daughter and her buddy secured a two bedroom apartment rental near UCSD. They are juniors there. They moved in around August, no idea when they secured the lease.

Bloomberg and MarketWatch reported that Zillow is stopping their purchase of homes for 2021 because they have to take care of their existing inventory.

ETA: https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2021-10-17/zillow-pauses-home-purchases-as-snags-hit-tech-powered-flipping

https://www.marketwatch.com/amp/story/zillow-to-stop-purchasing-us-homes-after-building-big-backlog-and-facing-staff-shortages-bloomberg-2021-10-18

Edited by Arcadia

4 minutes ago, Arcadia said:

My neighbor’s daughter and her buddy secured a two bedroom apartment rental near UCSD. They are juniors there. They moved in around August, no idea when they secured the lease.

They are on a quarter system, and the students come back to campus in late September. It's gotten really ugly.

https://ucsdguardian.org/2021/09/05/four-marriott-hotel-locations-to-offer-ucsd-students-housing/

https://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/news/education/story/2021-07-18/housing-shortage-uc-san-diego 

Edited by SeaConquest

7 minutes ago, SeaConquest said:

COVID-19 protocols also make it more difficult for students to acquire on-campus housing. UCSD Housing Dining Hospitality does not currently triple occupancy room assignments, which eliminated approximately 2,100 on-campus housing slots.”

My friend’s daughter started looking when the UCs announced they would be back in campus in fall.  Getting a one year lease probably helped them as well. 

No the bubble hasn’t burst here.  There is low inventory.  A few things hang around that are either too high-priced for how much work needs to be done, or look beautifully remodeled on the inside but nothing has been done to the outside, and size and/or location do not match the high price.  

I think a lot of houses don’t get listed because realtors accept bids from people who are working with a realtor and will accept bids that way.  

It's definitely slowed it's advance here.  We live in a less desirable area fairly near a very desirable area (we have much worse schools and higher taxes).  Our cost of living is low here, but housing has increased dramatically from its low starting point.  Housing values made crazy gains over the summer; now they are still growing, but more like gaining a couple thousand more per month.  Houses are lasting a little longer on the market, too.

There is a house in the town my dh works in that has been on the market for almost a month now, to my great surprise.  It is actually one of the most beautiful homes I have ever seen.  It's a gorgeous, historic home that has been perfectly kept up, has some updates like vinyl windows but all kinds of beautiful original details.  Even going for dramatically less than it would almost anywhere else, it has sat on the market far longer than I expected.  I guess there aren't many people in the market for a 4,000 sf 6 bedroom house in a dinky, declining little town.