Menu

American History Tour

Okay, I need your ideas for an American History Tour. If you were going to travel to historical places (east coast), where would you go? Our family is trying to pick places to go for about 2 - 3 weeks next fall.

Places the kids have asked to see:

Boston

Salem

Plymouth

Philadelphia (we've been there - so this would be a quick trip)

Gettysburg

DC (again, we've been there - so this would just be quick)

Jamestown/Williamsburg

Also, if you have nice places to stay, I'd appreciate hearing about them! We really like places that have rooms that sleep 6.

Thanks!!

Having just returned from a trip to Charleston, I would say you might want to consider heading down south for more Civil War history. The boat tour out to the fort was great, and my boys loved checking out the cannons and the shells still imbedded in the walls from the bombardment. The park rangers were terrific tour guides with fascinating stories from the war. Along with this, Charleston itself was wonderful, with a history spanning early colonial times to present day. There are numerous battlefields, monuments, plantations, and such in the area as well! And did I mention the good food...?

Enjoy the trip! We are about to move back there so I am looking forward to other responses.

but I will be watching with interest, since we hope to do the same type of trip in late 2009 or in 2010.

I was hoping to get more replies! But, I'm glad to see others planning the same type of trip! Where were you thinking of stopping?

I'd add Harper's Ferry to your itenerary. It's a half hour west of Fredrick, MD, which you'll go through as you travel from Gettysburg to DC. Most of the lower part of the town is part of the National Park Service.

Got it! I'll have to look it up! Thank you.

Having just returned from a trip to Charleston, I would say you might want to consider heading down south for more Civil War history. The boat tour out to the fort was great, and my boys loved checking out the cannons and the shells still imbedded in the walls from the bombardment. The park rangers were terrific tour guides with fascinating stories from the war. Along with this, Charleston itself was wonderful, with a history spanning early colonial times to present day. There are numerous battlefields, monuments, plantations, and such in the area as well! And did I mention the good food...?

Enjoy the trip! We are about to move back there so I am looking forward to other responses.

I've always wanted to visit there anyway. So, I'll add it to our itinerary. Thanks!

Anyone else???

We're planning the same kind of trip next fall (though we'll only have a week). We don't have any ideas that aren't already on your list, though--we'll do DC and then Jamestown/Williamsburg. Plus we go to Cape Cod every summer, so we'll probably try to spend a couple of days in Boston doing history stuff while we're up there. So I'm watching this thread, too--we might need to plan a weekend trip to Charleston when we study the Civil War next year!

Those are all great places, though I've never been to Salem.

You might also consider Bennington, VT, Forts William Henry and Ticonderoga in NY, Quebec is *amazing* and well worth the trip imo, and since you'll be so close to Valley Forge, that's a wonderful afternoon.

Also...Washington's Crossing is nice.

I'll try to think of more of our favorite places up there. It's *really* nice to live there!