Menu

Buying An Electric Guitar

Slache

Fender has a really nice student line ( squier) .  It was recommended for DD.  It is what her music teacher recommends for all his students. Amazon had some of the better pricing on it and they do come in red. We ended up with really nice older Fender from a yard sale.  

Bonus- if he should not like it in a year, it has a good resale value.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, itsheresomewhere said:

Fender has a really nice student line ( squier) .  It was recommended for DD.  It is what her music teacher recommends for all his students. Amazon had some of the better pricing on it and they do come in red. We ended up with really nice older Fender from a yard sale.  

Dh suggested this one as well.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, itsheresomewhere said:

33 minutes ago, Starr said:

Dh suggested this one as well.

Can I just get a regular, full sized Fender? He's pretty big and I'm supposed to go full size in a year according to the Google.

Does it have to be a surprise or are you able to go to music store to try it out? I have three guitar players, and when the older two upgraded from a 3/4 size to a full size (one acoustic player, one switching to electric after starting on acoustic), and trying out the guitars for feel and sound was really important to them.  For a sizing opinion too, someone in the store could give you their advice - it's hard to know what is going to work without seeing the kid since there's a lot of size variability. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, kirstenhill said:

Does it have to be a surprise or are you able to go to music store to try it out? I have three guitar players, and when the older two upgraded from a 3/4 size to a full size (one acoustic player, one switching to electric after starting on acoustic), and trying out the guitars for feel and sound was really important to them.  For a sizing opinion too, someone in the store could give you their advice - it's hard to know what is going to work without seeing the kid since there's a lot of size variability. 

Good point. We could go do that.

• Like 1

We got ds a full sized acoustic/electric guitar when he was around 11. For him it was a little too big but the sound was good. He grew into it. Dh gave him lessons and  it all worked out. Now I think I would have gotten him a smaller one and then purchased a full sized a year or two later but you know, money, overthinking and all that. 

• Thanks 1

Both of my boys play electric guitar (plus one also plays bass). They prefer Jackson brand. We have purchased most of their guitars at Guitar Center, which is a nationwide chain that sells new and used instruments. We've also ordered from Amazon, when we knew exactly what they wanted. And from another music store near us.

Straps and cases and stands, amplifier, cords, etc. will all need to be purchased separately.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Storygirl said:

Both of my boys play electric guitar (plus one also plays bass). They prefer Jackson brand. We have purchased most of their guitars at Guitar Center, which is a nationwide chain that sells new and used instruments. We've also ordered from Amazon, when we knew exactly what they wanted. And from another music store near us.

Straps and cases and stands, amplifier, cords, etc. will all need to be purchased separately.

Fender has the complete kit now.  Not all stores have the complete kits. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1