Menu

How to catalog books?

MerryAtHope

I’m wanting to go clean out my books more thoroughly —keep some for grandkids and for us, get rid of ones I don’t love. I’d like to keep a listing of books that could be shared and/or printed with blurbs I write, quotes etc… and that is organized roughly by age but can also be categorized or tagged and sorted by genres I choose (like if I want to specify US historical fiction etc…) 

Is there a good free program for that? I was looking at good reads, but I’m not sure if it does the things I want. I know it does other things, and I don’t know if I would use those other features. I do like the idea of being able to use my phone to either scan a barcode or take a picture of a cover. Any thoughts? Have any of you done this?

Edited by MerryAtHope

I’m currently loving BookBuddy+. It’s a paid app and I don’t remember what we paid, but it has all sorts of options for loaned out, reading status, wish list, etc. I don’t see a place for notes, but there are so many details and you can add even more tags, categories, etc. which might work just as well.

Mine are all categorized into which numbered box they’re packed into, and that’s already come in super handy.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Carrie12345 said:

I’m currently loving BookBuddy+. It’s a paid app and I don’t remember what we paid, but it has all sorts of options for loaned out, reading status, wish list, etc. I don’t see a place for notes, but there are so many details and you can add even more tags, categories, etc. which might work just as well.

Mine are all categorized into which numbered box they’re packed into, and that’s already come in super handy.

Thanks, I just heard of that and it does sound good. 

It’s good to see you, Merry! 
We use LibraryThing- it’s free. We tag locations as which room in the house where we can generally find it. You can make custom tags or use suggested tags. 

We use both the website and the app - it’s pretty easy to go back & forth between the two.

https://www.librarything.com

Edited by TechWife
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, TechWife said:

It’s good to see you, Merry! 
We use LibraryThing- it’s free. We tag locations as which room in the house where we can generally find it. You can make custom tags or use suggested tags. 

We use both the website and the app - it’s pretty easy to go back & forth between the two.

https://www.librarything.com

Thanks! 

• Like 1

I am using book catalogue  which is a free app. The scanning part of it wasn't the easiest for me, so if the other apps mentioned work, I would try one of those. I always hand-enter the ISBN. It's useful to me because (at least pre-pandemic) I like to thrift shop and often buy used books. It has kept me from duplicating more than once.  It did take quite a while to get all the books entered in at first.  

ETA: i don't know that you can categorize in this app either. I started using it years and years ago. It would have been nice to be able to break books into categories like that. 😃 ETA2: it looks like you can put books on "bookshelves"

Edited by cintinative
  • Like 1

On 9/27/2021 at 6:56 AM, TechWife said:

You’re welcome! Also, you can use your phone to scan barcodes with the app! 

Yes, I’m definitely looking for something that can do that! If you have a vintage book though, can you take a picture of the cover and add in a picture?

Edited by MerryAtHope

6 minutes ago, MerryAtHope said:

Yes, I’m definitely looking for something they can do that! If you have a vintage book though, can you take a picture of the cover and add in a picture?

I am not sure about adding a picture. We have some older books that are pre-barcode. We searched the catalog by name and most of them came up already with a picture. There were one or two we added. You can search for books by scanned barcode, hand entered ISBN, hand entered title or hand entered author. It searches the LibraryThing database automatically, then you can also specify a search of the Library of Congress Catalog, Amazon in several different countries and Overcat looking for matches. 

• Like 1