Menu

New Math Curriculum for 7 Year Old

JMyers0365

I'm looking for a new math curriculum for my daughter who recently turned 7. We stuck with Saxon 3 last year and she did really well with it, though I have been supplementing with some more advanced worksheets to keep her engaged. I have no concerns about her grasping the concepts in Saxon 5/4, she learned quite a few of the new concepts on her own already. What I am concerned about is the amount of writing required. Right now she says that Math is her favorite subject and I REALLY don't want to mess that up.

We discourage screen time, but I'm thinking about giving letting her use Teaching Textbooks, supplementing with math facts, and then giving her space to explore whatever else sounds fun to her.

Does anyone have any experience with the program, or any other recommendations?

Thanks!

I don't think Teaching Textbooks is a good one for a child who grasps concepts easily and doesn't need the explicit and constant practice.

You might check out MEP or Singapore, if you haven't already.  We used Gattegno, but it has a slight learning curve.  Minimal writing, though.

You also don't have to do all the writing.  You can use manipulatives, scribe for her, turn the lesson into a hands on one....the possibilities are endless when you look at the objectives and build from there.  This week I had a group of kids folding paper, putting blocks on it, turning over number cards...rather than explore fractions of numbers through drawing lines and coloring, we moved it to a physical lesson.

• Like 1

TT is just about the weakest math program out there.  That would be my very last choice for a strong math student.

Agreeing with HomeAgain in that you can do some things orally, scribe for her, have her work on a dry erase board, play math games, etc.  You can use a deck of cards for addition/subtraction/multiplication/fraction "war" by each flipping up 2 cards.....highest value wins, etc.

My favorite supplement for 3-5 grades is Hands On Equations Verbal Problems Book.  Great word problems for apply concepts for kids who grasp math.

• Like 2

I agree that TT would not be a good choice. I've actually used TT for several levels for one of my kids, but I wouldn't recommend it in most circumstances. It is VERY weak (which is what that kiddo needed). 

If you like Saxon but don't want to have her write so much, I'd consider CLE. It is very similar to Saxon in teaching style in that it is very spiral, but it comes in workbook format. It is generally considered a strong traditional program and is reasonably priced (although unabashedly Mennonite-style Christian, if that affects your choice).

I would also consider Singapore, which is workbook as well and is considered a good strong math program.

I do enjoy having my kids to apps or computer programs for math facts though. Mine have done XtraMath (free but sort of boring) and Time4Mathfacts (previously called Reflex Math, way more fun but not free). Its was painless and effective for both of us. 

Edited by MeaganS

2 hours ago, JMyers0365 said:

I did try Beast Academy a year ago and she really didn't like it. Maybe I'll reintroduce it to see if something has changed.

I tried to use BA a few yrs ago with my now 6th grader (who is completing Foerster's alg 1 right now without any slowing down).  She also did not like it.  

FWIW, I have used Horizons math k-6 with all 8 of my kids and currently with my grandkids.  It provides a solid math foundation (regardless of the opinions of naysayers on these forums. )  It is simple to use and they are ready for pre-alg after finishing the books.  It is easy for kids who understand concepts to work through quickly.  (My current 6th grader is my 2nd child who finished elementary math in 3rd/4th grade.)

2 hours ago, 8filltheheart said:

I tried to use BA a few yrs ago with my now 6th grader (who is completing Foerster's alg 1 right now without any slowing down).  She also did not like it.  

FWIW, I have used Horizons math k-6 with all 8 of my kids and currently with my grandkids.  It provides a solid math foundation (regardless of the opinions of naysayers on these forums. )  It is simple to use and they are ready for pre-alg after finishing the books.  It is easy for kids who understand concepts to work through quickly.  (My current 6th grader is my 2nd child who finished elementary math in 3rd/4th grade.)

What did your kiddo dislike about it?

DD9 doesn’t like it much either, to be honest. But I tend to suggest it, since I do know lots of kids who do.

Edited by Not_a_Number