Menu

Methods of Teaching Singing

If I want to educate myself on the basics of Vocal Education/Singing Pedagogy, where should I start?

What are the schools of thought that I should look to educate myself about the techniques to teaching or learning singing?

There are a variety of established programs/"schools" for learning instruments (i.e. Suzuki, Yamaha, Alfreds, etc) but I imagine there are some established methods of vocal music seeing as how it's the only global instrument there is.

Kodaly, Gordon, Dalcroze...all are solfege focused. So is Rod and Staff, with the shape notes movable do. 

In general, elementary vocal Ed all tends to focus on solfege, pitch focus, ear training, etc because you don't want to push growing vocal cords too fast and far. Once you get into and through puberty, instruction would be more focused on specific types and styles of music.

• Like 1

On 9/4/2021 at 6:58 PM, Dmmetler said:

you don't want to push growing vocal cords too fast and far.

What types of things result if you do? I have heard that too, but see amazing young singers on TV and wondered how they got away with it... or did they? Will their vocal chords explode by age 30?

8 minutes ago, drjuliadc said:

What types of things result if you do? I have heard that too, but see amazing young singers on TV and wondered how they got away with it... or did they? Will their vocal chords explode by age 30?

Nodules, often requiring surgery and which can permanently damage and change your voice. Julie Andrews is one of the most famous examples, but there are a lot of careers which fizzle out after surgery is needed. 

In general, pre-pubescent children need to be singing in their natural range, not belting or trying to force too high or low. There can be absolutely pure, beautiful unchanged treble voices-but the goal needs to be Vienna Boys Choir, not pop sensation or Opera Diva (there are Opera and musical theater roles written for unchanged voices-the Broadway version of School of Rock is a pretty masterful of composing for unchanged voice).  

• Like 2

What is a natural range for young children? I'm seeking a method that's completely about developing basic vocal skill, not instruments.

Is there a series of Song Books that are able to be sung skillfully in a "natural range" for an untrained person or child? If so, what are they?

You mentioned multiple methods that are based on Solfege--are there any alternatives to Solfege that I might explore?

Which techniques lay the best foundation of skills like breathing and breath-control?

Natural singing range for most children pre-puberty is approximately a low soprano/mezzo soprano range. Typically about A3-F5 with some natural variation. One thing I am glad to see is that it is now common for child soloists to be amplified, rather than to be expected to carry to the back of the auditorium. 

Breathing is focused on breath support, phrasing, and building stamina. Honestly, it's no different on voice than on other instruments. One of the best ways to build up breath support for singing is to play instruments, even simple ones like Kazoos and recorders. 

https://emilypeasgood.com/vocal-technique-for-singers-breathing-and-breath-control/

There is a Suzuki vocal school. I don't know much about it, other than that it exists. There are also things like the Robert Shaw count-singing, but I believe it is used with adult singers (I did one vocal workshop on it, designed for high school teachers, years ago). 

• 2 weeks later...

Apusskidu is one songbook I remember being taught from as a beginning singer (it is from the range Collins Songbooks), though you'd want a book covering the most basic techniques of singing before starting with the Collins Songbooks. I don't remember what was used to cover the most basic techniques when I learned to sing.

Note that most songbooks (in Collins and other series) will at least have piano given as well, simply because it is assumed most schools will have a piano and that the teacher will use it to accompany the students. You are by no means obliged to use any accompaniment for singing, and can simply use any written accompaniment as a guide to what should be sung at any particular part of the song.

Finally, swimming helps learn breath control and support for singing, though perhaps not as strongly as a kazoo or recorder would. If the goal is specifically to support singing, though, all of these things can wait until the student has been singing for a while.

Edit: Singing Lessons for Little Singers might be a good starting point, though I can't tell what method it's advocating.

Edited by ieta_cassiopeia