Menu

Boneless chuck roast in the instant pot?

Just Kate

I don’t cook roasts very often, but I have a 3lb boneless chick roast that I’d like to cook in my instant pot for dinner tonight. Any tried and true recipes you could offer? The plan is to serve it with mashed potatoes and green beans, so I won’t be cooking potatoes and carrots with it. 

Also wanted to add that I’ve had my instant pot since the craze started several years ago, but I’ve only used it a handful of times. For some reason, it scares me!!

Thanks!!

I would do it similar to previous poster-- but if possible I would add in a chopped onion (or to cheat-- minced onion!)--and maybe a cut up celery stalk (if I have one).

For 3 pounds I would think it would take just over an hour (after coming to pressure)... so if after 45 minutes the meat is not tender just replace lid and set timer for an additional 15-20 minutes. 

• Thanks 1

I've done chuck roast from frozen in my pressure cooker. 

I stick onion, potato, whatever root vegetable stuff (carrot, celery, etc) on the bottom of the pot. Use a cleaver to cut up the chuck into pieces I can stick into the pot. Mix flavor mixture in a bowl with 1/2 cup of warm water (beef bouillon, garlic, whatever flavors you like). The warm liquid helps the flavor mixture stick to the frozen meat you can substitute beef bouillon and water with warm beef broth. High pressure for 1.5 hrs. Slowly let pressure out after finished. Shred meat. 

For different flavors I also like to make a chili. Only add onion to the bottom of the pot. Add 1 dried pasilla pepper (without stem and seeds) and 1-2 tablespoon ancho peppers and garlic into 1/2 cup of warm beef broth with taco seasoning. Cook meat in the same way as above. When meat is finshed shred, then add beans and tomato. Cook until beans and tomato is warm.