Menu

Remember Dh was laid off work?

Murphy101

1 hour ago, prairiewindmomma said:

Those anchor businesses employed xxx,xxx people between them. They also provided a talented core workforce who could spin off into research and spin off into small manufacturing and other things as they moved into other jobs. Corporate HQ host not only business and marketing analysts, but also tech and HR and real estate managers for store fronts. It’s  like an ecosystem, when the anchor species leave, then everything else falls out of balance. When corporate HQs leave, people leave with them because they have to.

I understand that corporations moving out is problematic.  However, what I am saying, is that having divisions of corporations can be just as good.  We have space divisions or parts ofdpsce dividions of Elon Musk's company, Facebook, and  Amazon.  Plus large divisions of defense or aerospace or aeronautical companies and Toyota engines and  a new Toyota/Mazda plant.  Plus a giant bio- research place.  Plus lots of health, educational (4 colleges and universities), and many other manufacturing, research, tech places.

1 hour ago, TravelingChris said:

I understand that corporations moving out is problematic.  However, what I am saying, is that having divisions of corporations can be just as good.  We have space divisions or parts ofdpsce dividions of Elon Musk's company, Facebook, and  Amazon.  Plus large divisions of defense or aerospace or aeronautical companies and Toyota engines and  a new Toyota/Mazda plant.  Plus a giant bio- research place.  Plus lots of health, educational (4 colleges and universities), and many other manufacturing, research, tech places.

Right, but what is happening in KC is that companies are LEAVING. They aren’t opening local divisions of the merger companies. Hence my confusion about why you disagreed with the article. If your metro has lost 100,000+ well paying jobs in the last 20 years, that is a huge freaking problem. The Sprint/T-Mobile merger alone so far has been 20k jobs, and it’s going to be more before all is said and done because it is following the same pattern as previous mergers/venture capital buyouts. Executives go, then VP/director level, then the worker bees either by department or by gradually by closing new headcount/re-org/targeted layoffs.

I am glad your area is doing well. 

• Like 2