Menu

Curriculum/program suggestions needed for high school intellectually impaired

I am looking for advice to pass on to a very small private school for an intellectually impaired student who will be in 9th grade, even though the school goes up to gr. 8.   His math and reading skills are at about a 3rd grade level.   Generally he is in math with the younger kids, and that has been fine, but I would like to suggest a 'Survival Math'. Any ideas on a good curriculum?  He has been exposed to grocery shopping with family and was introduced to the calculator last year.  

Any other curriculum ideas would be helpful as well. I taught elementary special ed., but this age group is new to me.  I can check with the local public high school as far as what would be taught if he were there.  Being such a small private school, it is very much like homeschooling, so thought I would check to see what others have worked on at home. He is very verbal, utilizes computers well (connection at home is not great), likes to please and is motivated. He does animals for 4H and I know there are a lot of good projects in 4H as well. Suggestions appreciated!

I do not have experience with your situation, but have you looked at the materials through AGS publishing?   Many of their books are written on a 3-5 grade *reading* level, but don't look "babyish". 

Wieser Educational has a feature on their site that allows you to get suggestions for different levels of special needs... https://www.wiesereducational.com/needs-assessment/

Edited by Zoo Keeper
  • Thanks 1