Menu

Geography Program for Every Country (and Major Landforms)

Gil

I'm looking for a Single-Level geography program that teaches

• major landforms
  • every country and capital (give or take a few newer or disputed nations).
  • World map-drawing

I looked on Rainbow Resource and was disappointed by how much of it seems like it's multi-level or teaches cultures/recipes instead of just physical and political geogrpahy.

We've used Simply Charlotte Mason's 'Visits to...' series.  It doesn't do all capitols, but it does countries, major landofrms, and has the option to draw or trace the whole map.  It's meant to do one continent at a time, 15-30 minutes once/week.  If you chose to do it daily, you could probably do it all in one year.  If you like hands-on things, we've played around with Pin-it Maps, which can be used in different ways but has all of the information that you are asking for, I think.  

We just use Anki decks.

There are some amazing pre-made decks with high quality maps that can teach major (and many very minor) landforms, countries, capitals, states, flags, currency, language, etc. We don't learn all of those. I start my kids with a couple dozen each of the most prominent countries and landforms. Once they have those down, I add in the cards for the capitals of those countries, a handful of new countries and some more landforms.

Lather, rinse, repeat. In the background, Anki takes care of spaced repetition so that the older information is not being forgotten. It is simple and free and works for us.

• Like 1

Not a program but it's a fun hands-on game to learn about countries and capitals, similar to pin maps. 

Imagimake: Mapology World with Flags & Capitals- with Country Shaped Pieces- Jigsaw Puzzle and Educational Toy for Boys and Girls Above 5 Years- Excellent Birthday Gift https://www.amazon.com/dp/B079SXW3WD/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_W3R2XXTE5XZT5P8546KJ?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

1 hour ago, OnceUponAFullMoon said:

Not a program but it's a fun hands-on game to learn about countries and capitals, similar to pin maps. 

Imagimake: Mapology World with Flags & Capitals- with Country Shaped Pieces- Jigsaw Puzzle and Educational Toy for Boys and Girls Above 5 Years- Excellent Birthday Gift https://www.amazon.com/dp/B079SXW3WD/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_W3R2XXTE5XZT5P8546KJ?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

If I can find a high-quality version of this concept, where all continents are represented accurately, I'd jump on it.

I've seen stuff like this, but invariably it's usually certain regions done well and the rest of the world was kinda of an after thought and it's apparent from the quality of the continents.

1 hour ago, Gil said:

If I can find a high-quality version of this concept, where all continents are represented accurately, I'd jump on it.

I've seen stuff like this, but invariably it's usually certain regions done well and the rest of the world was kinda of an after thought and it's apparent from the quality of the continents.

Geopuzzles sells a different one for each continent.