Menu

Rome for Middle School

silver

Does anyone know of a great narrative nonfiction book about ancient Rome that is suitable for about 8th grade? I'd love if it were not written as a text for a class, but instead written to just be an interesting look at ancient Rome. 

I need to reread through this particular one, but we have the What Life Was Like set from..Time Life, I think.  They are all engaging, almost story written.  There's one called What Life Was Like When Rome Ruled The World: The Roman Empire that might fit what you're looking for.  My only hesitation is that some of the books do mention more unsavory topics in passing and I'm not sure if this particular one does.

Adding: this one showed up at the bottom as a suggestion.  I like the look of it!  The Romans: A Captivating Guide https://www.amazon.com/Romans-Captivating-Emperors-Gladiators-Byzantine/dp/163716307X/ref=pd_sbs_4/140-5295945-9612725?pd_rd_w=gMGkI&pf_rd_p=a5925d26-9630-40f3-a011-d858608ac88b&pf_rd_r=MA1N858JMF44QB330Y54&pd_rd_r=f776ec29-f76c-4f4c-bce0-d9db42396100&pd_rd_wg=LavWd&pd_rd_i=163716307X&psc=1

Edited by HomeAgain
  • Thanks 1

On 6/25/2021 at 1:55 PM, caffeineandbooks said:

Genevieve Foster's Augustus Caesar's World is a lovely narrative "horizontal" history that talks about why he's important and also places him in context with the rest of the world.  The OUP Rome book mentioned above is also a good option, although a textbook.

Another vote for Augustus Caesar’s World

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1