Menu

Finish Saxon Algebra 2 in the fall? Review with something else?

My daughter is finishing 10th grade. She made it through lesson 90 of Saxon Algebra 2. She has 40 lessons remaining. I'm letting her off math for a month or so because she has some summer activities that are major time sucks and she hates math. We both just need a break.

The plan is for her to take College Algebra at community college in the spring of next year. This will give us the fall to finish Saxon Algebra 2 or to do something else to make sure she doesn't forget everything and is prepared. Her test average with Saxon is an 81. 

I'm wondering if our best bet is to just keep plugging away with Saxon Algebra 2 or to switch to some easier math program (Teaching Textbooks maybe?) to sorta try to cement fundamentals and then move her in to College Algebra. I don't know. We have the DIVE videos and hate them. I feel like I'm failing her with math. I probably need to really review things if I'm going to get her siblings through Algebra 2 in a more successful way than I have muddled through with her. Back in the day, I was really good at math! I just don't remember so much stuff! I feel like I've failed her this year. I feel like I need a plan to get her to a point where the community college can take over. 

Hugs- you are doing great!  Saxon Algebra 2 is a heavy book.  My oldest completed through the first half of Advanced Math, and said most of it was repeated in college algebra. I think if she has solid grasp on everything in the Algebra 2 book this far, stop for a bit,then pick up again.  When you get to Lesson 120, switch to Advanced Math  and get as far as you can.   

My DD2 is right at the same point,  I think we got to around lesson 115 in Algebra 2.  I thought she did really well, I  had planned to take 2 years if necessary to get through it.  I'm not sure where we will start in the fall (depends on what she remembers), but im not worried about being at this point at the end of 10th grade, and I wouldn't switch to another program bc it sounds like she's doing well.  I also plan for this kid to be ready for College Algebra by Senior year.  I want to take 11th grade to shore her up, practice ACT math, and make sure she's ready for whatever math she needs. 

1 hour ago, staceyobu said:

Can we skip around in lessons? Or start later in the material? I'm assuming we could just skip everything labeled honors? I'm looking at the site now.

I would do all of the problems--though that doesn't mean watching all of the videos.  DO has very few problems compared to Saxon, so it might seem like a breath of fresh air to your daughter.  If you do skip videos, I'd have your daughter do the problems he does in those videos and check the answers by skipping through to the end.  If she doesn't get the right answer she should watch the video.  You can skip the stuff labeled honors (it's just a worksheet or two in each chapter).

9 hours ago, staceyobu said:

Can we skip around in lessons? Or start later in the material? I'm assuming we could just skip everything labeled honors? I'm looking at the site now.

You also could test through. There are two versions of the chapter tests, so if she already knows that material in a chapter you can move on. We did this for Algebra 2. I was mean and made dd have a 90 %. It was usually pretty easy to see if there was just a couple of lessons that needed to be done, though. ETA we did self-grading so it was easy to move through quickly.

Edited by MamaSprout
too early
  • Like 1