Menu

pass/fail on a transcript?

Is this going to be an issue? DS took a chemistry class at a local co-op in 10th grade that didn't issue a grade. The teacher actually asked him if he needed a grade for it at the very end, but he didn't ask for one (I wasn't especially comfortable with her giving him a grade, because there hadn't been any graded work throughout the class). It was also last year, so the year when school was weird for most everyone at the end, no matter what the setting. I know that he completed all the work and put in a good effort, so I was thinking I'd just put it as a "pass" on his transcript instead of a letter grade. I don't know that I actually have much choice about it at this point anyway (other than just making up a grade myself), so I guess I'm just asking if anyone's had this kind of situation before and whether it raised any eyebrows with colleges? Should I explain it somewhere when he applies or just put it out there and they can ask if they want?

50 minutes ago, Mom21 said:

I’d recommend giving a grade.

The Real Value of Grades on a Transcript https://www.homehighschoolhelp.com/blogs/the-real-value-of-grades-on-a-transcript

Grading Estimate https://www.homehighschoolhelp.com/blogs/grading-estimate

I don't hesitate to give grades for classes we do at home even though I don't give tests or other traditional assessments....but for this class I wasn't involved at all other than to ask him if he had homework and check in to make sure he was getting it done. It really would be completely made up. 

Just now, 8filltheheart said:

I would assign a grade.  When colleges recalculate GPAs, some convert Ps into Cs.  (There was a long saga about this way back on the HS2Col email loop and a student applying to UVA.)

Ugh. I don't want that! 

The original plan was that he'd take the subject test at the end of the class, in which case I'd feel totally fine assigning a grade. But then covid. Okay, I'm mostly convinced. Honestly, I wasn't thrilled with the class and felt like it wasn't as rigorous/complete as advertised. But that wasn't his fault, and I'm pretty confident he did everything that was asked of him as well as he could in the class. 

I would also assign a grade. The whole P's count as C's thing seems to be pretty rare - the NCAA used to do it, but as I understand it, has recently dropped the practice in Covid and many, many kids are going to have P's in the next couple of years thanks to the pandemic shifting a lot of grading options. BUT... you're in charge and can give the grade. I understand your hesitation, but it's okay to grade to completion. He went to the class, he showed up, he did the work, he participated in anything in class, right? Well then, give him an A. And in the course description reflect what the class was and that the grade reflects full participation in the course.

Edited by Farrar
  • Like 3