Menu

Any recent users of Miller Levine (Toucan edition)? Labs?

Hi, I did do a search but  found only old/broken links. Has anyone used this recently? Did you use Kolbe at all? I have the iPad toucan version so I think we need a bit more output than the few questions at the end of each chapter (just to ensure comprehension ). Is there a simple list of labs? I’m trying to make this simple and open and go. Thanks for any thoughts 

There is a workbook that we used here and there- i would recommend it.  We used labs from RSO Biology 2 and Biology Corner.  Other things we used- Amoeba Sisters on YT, Princeton Review Biology coloring book, HHMI Biointeractive- this has labs and field studies,  lots of really neat things!

1 hour ago, BusyMom5 said:

There is a workbook that we used here and there- i would recommend it.  We used labs from RSO Biology 2 and Biology Corner.  Other things we used- Amoeba Sisters on YT, Princeton Review Biology coloring book, HHMI Biointeractive- this has labs and field studies,  lots of really neat things!

Hiya what’s the workbook? These all sound great, thanks so much for posting!

I own workbooks A and B and they are different. I haven't used them yet so hopefully someone with experience can explain better or provide feedback. 

From comparing the two, it looks like Workbook B is the "Reading Foundations" workbook and seems to be geared toward helping students understand the reading, master vocabulary, and build understanding. Workbook A seems to be a bit more in depth with lesson summaries and comprehension questions. Flipping through it seems like Workbook A would be more challenging, whereas Workbook B might be a bit remedial or for a student not STEM focused. These are just my first impressions, but I thought I would share.  I'm not sure yet which to use.

Edited by librarymama
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Yes, this series has a Foundations textbook and workbook for kids who struggle with science,  ESL, or even younger kids.  I intended to get regular for older kid, Foundations for the middle schoolers, but once I saw the regular ones, I knew my middle schoolers could handle it, so just got them all 3 the regular textbook and workbooks.   They were 6th and 9th grades when we did this.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, BusyMom5 said:

Yes, this series has a Foundations textbook and workbook for kids who struggle with science,  ESL, or even younger kids.  I intended to get regular for older kid, Foundations for the middle schoolers, but once I saw the regular ones, I knew my middle schoolers could handle it, so just got them all 3 the regular textbook and workbooks.   They were 6th and 9th grades when we did this.

Mine is on the younger side as well, but I think we will give it a whirl. There’s no answer book for this, is there? I do have an account with Savvas, but I hate navigating that site...

We are using the dragonfly version of Miller-Levine. I bought the teacher lab book and student lab book, but we have not used them, except for the very first couple which were about measurements and use of a microscope. I wanted to do more dissections and less of the other labs that they are present. So we did many labs from Biology Corner (Mostly free, except keys can cost something).  

If it would be helpful, I could post pictures of the lab TOC.  

We use the student Reading and Study workbook--there is a teacher key for it as well. Ours would be an earlier version than yours and would not work.

I have used some of the assessments from the Assessment books--mostly I took some questions and merged them with tests my friend had already created.

Edited by cintinative
  • Thanks 1

I'd get a physical copy of the textbook and use the questions in there.  There are labs in the text as well.

I'd have the student do any vocabulary type questions orally and have them write out their responses for the more conceptual questions.

Examples of questions I'd do orally for section 7.2 on cell structure:  What are the two major parts of the cell?  What is the function of lysosomes?  What is the difference between rough and smooth ER?  What is the function of the mitochondria?

Here is an example of a more conceptual question (I made this one myself based on questions in the book):  How does the structure of the cell membrane facilitate cell function?   Note that in order to answer the question fully, the student may need to use information from subsequent sections.  For this question, I'd expect the student to explain how the properties of phospholipids reflect the structure of the membrane, to describe the fluid mosaic model, telling me what makes it fluid and what makes it a mosaic, how the mosaic aspect allows for selective permeability, and why this is critical for cell function (this last part is covered in subsequent sections).   

Edited by EKS
  • Thanks 1