Menu

Recommendations for online 9th grade literature/English class?

I've taught literature in co-op classes, but our co-op may not be able to rent space next year. And they don't seem to want to continue the online classes we've done this year. So...

Any recommendations for a good 9th grade *online* literature/English class? Would like one that is synchronous and has a lot of discussion.

Edited by provenance61

I remember your suggestions for teaching an earlier co-op class, they were so helpful!  (World Lit, English Lit)

DD loves literature and is very confident in discussions. She's on grade level for writing. She hasn't written a research paper yet, but she's done articles with quotes and attributions for a student newspaper. We'd prefer a secular approach to literature, but are open to both secular and Christian -- would have to evaluate each based on their approach. Although I could teach her at home, I think she really needs the group interaction and discussion -- whether it's from a co-op class or online class.

• Like 1

I highly recommend Cindy Lange at Integritas Academy. This is my ds 14's second year with her, and he'll be back again next year. The class meets twice a week, and has lots of discussion, as well as writing assignments for each novel/play read. It's expensive but completely worth it. Cindy gives excellent writing instruction and detailed feedback. She is very encouraging and kind, as well as open to providing one-on-one help when students need it. Parents are always welcome to contact her as well. 

• Like 1

On 4/29/2021 at 7:28 PM, provenance61 said:

I've taught literature in co-op classes, but our co-op may not be able to rent space next year. And they don't seem to want to continue the online classes we've done this year. So...

Any recommendations for a good 9th grade *online* literature/English class? Would like one that is synchronous and has a lot of discussion.

We really enjoyed literature classes from The Lukeion Project. https://www.lukeion.org/courses.html

The ancient literature courses Muse Unloosed (Greek) and Muse Reloosed (Roman) might be good options. Students tend to right model papers based on the style of literature they have just studied. So for example, they might write a family story in epic form. The instructor, Dr. Sue Fisher is a font of knowledge who is also funny and engaging.

It looks like there are still seats available. https://www.lukeion.org/literature_survey.html

Classical Bard is another good Lukeion course. We don't have experience with Skillful Scribler, which is a composition course.

I would not recommend the College Research Writing course to students who are not already familiar with writing research papers. It is definitely upper level.