Menu

Earth Day

Happy Earth Day, dear Earthling! Happy Earth Day to you! 🌍

We're planning to tune in to a couple of webinars (one local, one national) and spend some time outside, and I will teach DS how to make a convenience food himself so as not to have to buy it in plastic.

Are you doing anything special?

• Like 6

I have lectures out the wazoo to attend and they started yesterday. In addition to the usual lectures.

We’ve been brainstorming tiny changes that can add up to a big difference. Anyone want to add some? I mean tiny changes that everyone can make. Beyond the usual reusable bags, reduce, reuse, recycle

- Use solid soap and shampoos (this cuts down on plastic and the costs of transporting what is mostly water weight)

- grow native plants, bonus if they’re  from seed

- grow some of your own food and/or support local agriculture 

- replace some of your lawn (https://yaleclimateconnections.org/2019/09/professor-doug-tallamy-urges-homeowners-to-cut-lawn-area-in-half/)

- grow organic! 
- compost
- Spend time outdoors in nature!! 

Edited by bibiche
  • Like 3

My 9yo and I did a 2.2 mile walk in the park this morning, no easy feat in 30-degrees with gusty winds!  We identified as many trees as we could and saw a killdeer and lots of robins.  She’s with my mom for the rest of the day, but I’ll be watching this thread for ideas of what we could do tonight.  

• Like 3

We're eating plants. 🌱

Just read this today:

Each day, a person who eats a vegan diet saves 1,100 gallons of water, 45 pounds of grain, 30 square feet of forested land, 20 lbs. CO2 equivalent, and one animal's life.

Water Footprint Assessment - University of Twente, the Netherlands

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I printed out a recycling sorting game for my dd7 that I can save and use with her scout troop (because I thought as I printed it out that I was using paper up, lol. ) 

And both my dd7 and my dd16 entered are entering an art contest on recycling with our zoo that is due next week.  They worked on that today.  We already garden, compost, recycle, etc.    We just discussed with dd7 why we do certain things and what goes where for recycling with the game. 

• Like 4