Menu

Literature

barnwife

Explain to me what literature looks like in your house. Do you use a curriculum? If not, exactly what do you do?

We have a 10 yo and 9 yo who are independent readers (a 7 yo is still struggling to read, dyslexia is a possibility). We've never "studied" literature. We just read and discuss things. We almost always have a chapter book RA going (taking a few days break between books). The topic/style varies, from classics/well-known, to less serious things. I've just started assigning novels to the 10 yo as assigned reading. I've haven't asked for written output. 

We haven't used a curriculum. We just read and talk. Should we be doing more? If so, what?

FWIW, we use ELTL as part of our language arts. I haven't assigned the books it recommends. Mostly because so far, they've been books we've already read (either as RA, or them independently) or are just not interested in. 

Help me do a better job with literature.

• Like 1

I have a 5th and 6th grader this school year. I was all over the place with LA. I really don't have any idea what I'm doing in the LA department. I also wanted lit done as a whole family. 

We did (orally) a little bit from Mosdos Press. I liked it. Teaches theme, conflict, etc. The literary elements which I needed (still do!).😄 

We also did a few arrows from brave writer as a family.  

Next school year I am looking into lightning lit 6 and/or 7. It looks like my oldest could do level 7 independently.  Not sure if I can combine them anymore. 

2 hours ago, barnwife said:

...We have a 10 yo and 9 yo who are independent readers (a 7 yo is still struggling to read, dyslexia is a possibility). We've never "studied" literature. We just read and discuss things. We almost always have a chapter book RA going (taking a few days break between books). The topic/style varies, from classics/well-known, to less serious things. I've just started assigning novels to the 10 yo as assigned reading. I've haven't asked for written output. 

We haven't used a curriculum. We just read and talk. Should we be doing more? ... Help me do a better job with literature.

Sounds like you're doing a perfect job to me -- reading widely, enjoying, and talking about the books. I don't see that you need to "do a better job" at all.

That's what we did at those ages. And I think that's ALL that needs to happen at these ages. Enjoy your reading adventures! Have some fun discussions *as they arise naturally*. Make great family memories! 😄 

The one exception: if you ALL would find it FUN to do some extension hands-on activities to springboard from the "world" of a book here and there -- something along the lines of a LitWits guide, or the Prairie Primer for. gr. 3-6 (Little House series unit study), or the Further Up, Further In unit study on the Chronicles of Narnia series, for gr. 4-7.

Along about 6th/7th grade, you can introduce literary devices (tools to aid with "digging deeper" into literature), and along about 7th/8th grade you can start some very gentle slightly more formal literature studies and beginning literary analysis. But even throughout middle/high school, you can pretty much just read and discuss (at a deeper level). You don't need to do anything formal with EVERY book in middle/high school. Occasionally, write about a book -- use a discussion question as a prompt for a short (3-5 paragraph) reader response, or do the occasional literary analysis essay. But again, that would be for high school.

Keep alive the love of books and reading, and don't kill the love by turn reading into "school" and a drudge. Wishing you all the BEST in your reading adventures together! Warmest regards, Lori D.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Lori D. said:

Sounds like you're doing a perfect job to me -- reading widely, enjoying, and talking about the books. I don't see that you need to "do a better job" at all.

That's what we did at those ages. And I think that's ALL that needs to happen at these ages. Enjoy your reading adventures! Have some fun discussions *as they arise naturally*. Make great family memories! 😄 

The one exception: if you ALL would find it FUN to do some extension hands-on activities to springboard from the "world" of a book here and there -- something along the lines of a LitWits guide, or the Prairie Primer for. gr. 3-6 (Little House series unit study), or the Further Up, Further In unit study on the Chronicles of Narnia series, for gr. 4-7.

Along about 6th/7th grade, you can introduce literary devices (tools to aid with "digging deeper" into literature), and along about 7th/8th grade you can start some very gentle slightly more formal literature studies and beginning literary analysis. But even throughout middle/high school, you can pretty much just read and discuss (at a deeper level). You don't need to do anything formal with EVERY book in middle/high school. Occasionally, write about a book -- use a discussion question as a prompt for a short (3-5 paragraph) reader response, or do the occasional literary analysis essay. But again, that would be for high school.

Keep alive the love of books and reading, and don't kill the love by turn reading into "school" and a drudge. Wishing you all the BEST in your reading adventures together! Warmest regards, Lori D.

Oh that's a relief to hear. I guess since we are in a charter school and do testing that I felt bad when they didn't know what foreshadowing was. So, this year we did a little bit from mosdos press for that reason. 

I have done litwit kits in the past. 

I forgot about further up and further in. 

Yes, like lori said we read a lit around here to. Not much discussion because that's not my cup of tea; hence the mosdos press lessons. 😄

Thank you Lori! 

Sounds like the perfect plan to inspire a deep love of literature!  I would second the suggestion of taking a few books and diving deeper into the worlds, or stringing together several books with similar themes.

About seven years ago I started a “Family Dinner Bookclub” in our home.  We all read a single book per month and then discuss it over a fancy (usually at home) dinner.  I have slowly collected themed table cloths, dishes and serving platters for our dinners.  We always use the wine glasses and have a fancy, kid friendly drink.  I try to tie the menu to the book when possible, but if that is not an option I find a new recipe.  I created a card deck of literary analysis questions from the Teaching the Classics teacher’s manual to facilitate our discussions.  We each draw a random card or two and discuss.  It helps to save us from the “Did you enjoy the book?” question.  Although, ever since we read Swallows and Amazons my husband always leads with, “Who was your favorite character and why was it Titty?” 

Sometimes we also take a field trip, or watch a movie adaption of the book together and discuss.  My husband and I take turns with our daughters choosing books so everyone has a voice.  

This is in addition to our normal school work.  My husband and I always have a read aloud going.  We still spend an hour reading aloud to our teens at bedtime.  I also read aloud to them during the day and occasionally we will substitute an audiobook, especially for British literature.  Our read alouds cover science, history and literature.  They are both voracious independent readers.  If I can graduate my girls with one thing I hope it is a deep love and appreciation for literature.

Edited by MadsandLilysMom
  • Like 4