Menu

Advisor to help apply for Accommodations at University of Georgia

Fatherof2

Can anyone suggest an advisor I could hire to help apply for Accommodations at University of Georgia?

My daughter has been accepted to UGA as a freshman for the fall. She has a psych. eval. calling for accommodations. She currently has accommodations at Kennesaw State University and received accommodations for the ACT. Also, she has a 504 plan worked out at the closest public school. 

However, she's a homeschooler. So, we are filling out the application for accommodations at UGA on our own, which makes me worried that we will make a mistake in filling out the application.

I would like to hire someone to help make sure we fill out everything in a manner that is likely to ensure she keeps her accommodations. I could just see myself unknowingly leaving out some key information, if I don't have some guidance.

Thank you

UGA should have an Office of Disability Services or similar that may be able to guide you, or point you to a person/place that can help.  Or, do you have a contact that you like at Kennesaw who could help?  If she has accommodations there, I assume they are already familiar with her 504?

• Like 3

As my youngest is finishing high school, I've been transitioning to work as an Independent Educational Consultant. 

I would recommend contacting one of my peers, Rebecca Stuart Orlowski. She is a Professional Member of IECA, an experienced consultant, and a longtime homeschooler. She also has personal experience as the mom of students with special needs. 

• Like 1

I'm also an IEC and have been for a bit. This is something that I don't know if you'll need an IEC for. If you're coming from the perspective of having heard about the nightmare of getting an IEP set up in public schools and the systematic resistance that many people encounter, then this process is probably nerve wracking. But most disability offices are super, super ready to help. And with a 504 plan already in place, you're likely really going to be fine. I've never heard anything particularly bad about UGA. I would contact the disability office. Then, if you still feel you need someone, I'll second that you could reach out to someone. My business partner also has familiarity in this arena and Rebecca is a good suggestion above as well.

• Like 1

As long as evals are recent (within the last 3 yrs) with suggested accommodations, it is a super easy process at colleges.  You definitely do NOT need to pay someone.  If the disability office isn't accommodating, I would be shocked.  Every school we have dealt with has been eager to help.

Edited by 8filltheheart
  • Like 2

Exactly. Sometimes once students arrive on campus and deal with actual professors or situations, they run into some issues with specific offices or profs. But the disability office itself and the process of getting the accommodations set up is usually excellent. And big schools like UGA are usually especially good at this. They've dealt with everything under the sun.