Menu

Independent history reading for 3rd grader

MomN

I am starting to plan for my 3rd grader next year.  I am specifically thinking about increasing his independent reading.  He will have his choice of books to read for literature (work up to 30 minutes per day with a 2-3 sentence narration) and after some great help from some on this forum, I've decided to add in 20 minutes of free science reading each day (no output).  I am wondering if I should add in some independent history reading.  My son likes to read and it will help me to have him do independent work.  Do any of you have 3rd graders do independent history reading?  And if so, do you match it to what you're doing in your spine?  We will be on SOTW 3.  Any recommendations of books?  My ds is the type who needs to know what is required of him, and he hates when I change it.  So, if in the beginning of the year I say no independent history reading, and then one day I ask him to read a history book, he will not be happy.  So, I'd like to plan it all out now and be clear what my expectations are.  Or, should history be all about read alouds at this point?

Thanks!

My 7 almost 8 yr old has been enjoying the christian liberty press  text American Pioneers & Patriots. It is a big thinish hardback with pictures and has short little stories of pioneer children and then questions which I do not use. It is perhaps not great literature, but she is learning some and enjoying it, and its independent not busy work;)

My 4th grader has read a few landmarks and other mostly biographies recommended by simply charlotte mason for 4-6 history and memoria press suplemental american history reading. Both are good lists. I can't say he always liked them, but they were good for him;) and very age approprate. 

They read for about 15 min 3-4 times a week for history. I loosly sort of cordinate it with history. I alternate days or books for science and history so they don't read for both in one day. Like history 2x a week and science 2x a week or 2-3 weeks of history then 2-3 weeks of science. I am planning to up the time next year, but this year 1 was 2nd grade and the other somewhat dyslexic so 15 min was good.

They also each have an assigned "fun" (literature) book to read daily.

• Like 3

We read independently at that age, although I try to assign books below their level so they will continue to experience history as fun, not drudgery.  Kids vary widely in reading ability at that age, so our selections may or may not suit you.  I absolutely think you could go with any history books you like, and that has the advantage of letting you select books at the perfect level for that kid, and perhaps helping the kid draw connections between different time periods.  We stick to our SOTW rotation though, simply because it streamlines things for me.

I think third grade is a good age to start asking the kids to do the Usborne reading for each SOTW chapter, and I require them to list 3-4 facts in their own words.  Not the most *important* but just any 3-4 they like; most important comes after the assignment becomes easy and comfortable.  It's usually one double-page spread with lots of pictures, and takes around 15 minutes in my house.

We use plenty of picture books and by 3rd grade I sometimes hand them off for independent reading - there are some Jean Fritz and D'Aulaires early American ones you might enjoy.  There are a few tiny, easy novels like The Matchlock Gun and The Bears on Hemlock Mountain that I try to insert at a relevant point.  Simple bios: that year we did Lasky's Newton's Rainbow (a lengthy picture book) and my stronger reader did some Who Was? bios - Brothers Grimm, Marie Antoinette - though those are probably at level for a third grader and I wouldn't require output, just reading for enjoyment.  As Not a Number mentioned, Horrible Histories are a hit with that age, even for my history-averse kiddo.  Usborne puts out box sets of colourful early chapter books and we have their set for "confident readers" (https://www.amazon.com/Usborne-Reading-Collection-Confident-Readers/dp/1474927807/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=usborne+confident+readers&qid=1616877997&sr=8-1).  It's great for kids just on the cusp of chapter books, and happens to have a few adapted lit titles that fit this period: Gulliver's Travels, Robinson Crusoe, Frankenstein, others.  And simple, picture-heavy nonfiction history books from the library.  I'm not trying to have the independent reading be a significant part of their history intake, but simply giving them opportunities to do some reading on their own, chasing those golden moments when they say, "Hey mum, did you know..." and a book-loving history buff is born 🙂 

• Like 1

I have a reading list for my 3rd grader that includes history, science, and lit selections. She reads on her own from the list for 30min/day. I have a separate list/stack that I read aloud to her. We focus on US History at that age, so you might not find my list very helpful, but if you want to see it just let me know.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Momto6inIN said:

I have a reading list for my 3rd grader that includes history, science, and lit selections. She reads on her own from the list for 30min/day. I have a separate list/stack that I read aloud to her. We focus on US History at that age, so you might not find my list very helpful, but if you want to see it just let me know.

I would love to see the list! I actually plan on doing US History as well next year. Still not sure how I'm going to do it, but I want to add some US history to the SOTW 3.

Edited by MomN

On 3/27/2021 at 2:18 PM, countrymum said:

My 7 almost 8 yr old has been enjoying the christian liberty press  text American Pioneers & Patriots. It is a big thinish hardback with pictures and has short little stories of pioneer children and then questions which I do not use. It is perhaps not great literature, but she is learning some and enjoying it, and its independent not busy work;)

My 4th grader has read a few landmarks and other mostly biographies recommended by simply charlotte mason for 4-6 history and memoria press suplemental american history reading. Both are good lists. I can't say he always liked them, but they were good for him;) and very age approprate. 

They read for about 15 min 3-4 times a week for history. I loosly sort of cordinate it with history. I alternate days or books for science and history so they don't read for both in one day. Like history 2x a week and science 2x a week or 2-3 weeks of history then 2-3 weeks of science. I am planning to up the time next year, but this year 1 was 2nd grade and the other somewhat dyslexic so 15 min was good.

They also each have an assigned "fun" (literature) book to read daily.

I lile this idea of alternating science and history. 

I've heard about the Horrible Histories series. Are they stories or kind of random facts? I'm hesitant to buy because of the lack of narrative in these, but I know they have received awesome reviews. What are they like?

Thanks for all the ideas! I am printing out the lists and checking all the books mentioned above! 

2 hours ago, MomN said:

I've heard about the Horrible Histories series. Are they stories or kind of random facts? I'm hesitant to buy because of the lack of narrative in these, but I know they have received awesome reviews. What are they like?

Thanks for all the ideas! I am printing out the lists and checking all the books mentioned above! 

They have short, loosely connected chapters liberally sprinkled with cartoon-style illustrations, and they major in weird, gross and funny stories as a ten year old boy might define them 🙂  My kids adore them, though I have friends more conservative than I who don't approve of the potty humor and prefer their kids read something else.  Recent example: my kids were fascinated and horrified to learn that one Egyptian pharaoh not only had his daughter executed, but also amputated her hand specifically so that, according to their beliefs, she would not be resurrected to an afterlife.  I find they remember these kinds of details and are intrigued to learn more because the stories are true yet often bizarre.  If you're just trying them out, it's worth looking at your local library if open (ours is generally dreadful for homeschooling resources, but has loads of these), or else buying secondhand on eBay or Thrift Books or similar - they can often be had secondhand for just a dollar or two.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, caffeineandbooks said:

They have short, loosely connected chapters liberally sprinkled with cartoon-style illustrations, and they major in weird, gross and funny stories as a ten year old boy might define them 🙂  My kids adore them, though I have friends more conservative than I who don't approve of the potty humor and prefer their kids read something else.  Recent example: my kids were fascinated and horrified to learn that one Egyptian pharaoh not only had his daughter executed, but also amputated her hand specifically so that, according to their beliefs, she would not be resurrected to an afterlife.  I find they remember these kinds of details and are intrigued to learn more because the stories are true yet often bizarre.  If you're just trying them out, it's worth looking at your local library if open (ours is generally dreadful for homeschooling resources, but has loads of these), or else buying secondhand on eBay or Thrift Books or similar - they can often be had secondhand for just a dollar or two.

I'll have to give them a try! Thanks! I'll check my library first and then secondhand. 

14 hours ago, MomN said:

I would love to see the list! I actually plan on doing US History as well next year. Still not sure how I'm going to do it, but I want to add some US history to the SOTW 3.

I just realized as I copied this list that the science reading I have them do is a separate list. Basically I have them read selected pages from Master Books' World of Science.  But here is the history/lit list. I just have them go through in order.

Three Little Indians
Tapenum's Day
Kaya AG books
Arrow to the Sun
If You Sailed on the Mayflower
Samuel Eaton's Day
Sarah Morton's Day
Squanto
Thanksgiving on Thursday
The Courage of Sarah Noble
If You Lived in Colonial Times
George
What's the Big Idea, Ben Franklin?
Felicity AG books
Why Don't You Get a Horse Sam Adams?
Paul Revere's Ride
Phoebe the Spy
Will You Sign Here John Hancock?
Worst of Friends
George vs. George
A More Perfect Union
DK George Washington
Sacagawea
How We Crossed the West
Star Spangled Banner
Josephina AG books
Trail of Tears
The Drinking Gourd
Escape North
Uncle Remus
If You Traveled in a Covered Wagon
Bound for Oregon
Oregon Trail computer game
Sarah Plain & Tall
Skylark
Kirsten AG books
California Gold Rush
Abraham Lincoln
Abe Lincoln's Hat
I Survived the Battle of Gettysburg
Addy AG books
Presidential Elections and Other Cool Facts (election year)
How the US Gov Works (election year)
Red White & Blue Who (election year)
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Momto6inIN said:

I just realized as I copied this list that the science reading I have them do is a separate list. Basically I have them read selected pages from Master Books' World of Science.  But here is the history/lit list. I just have them go through in order.

Three Little Indians
Tapenum's Day
Kaya AG books
Arrow to the Sun
If You Sailed on the Mayflower
Samuel Eaton's Day
Sarah Morton's Day
Squanto
Thanksgiving on Thursday
The Courage of Sarah Noble
If You Lived in Colonial Times
George
What's the Big Idea, Ben Franklin?
Felicity AG books
Why Don't You Get a Horse Sam Adams?
Paul Revere's Ride
Phoebe the Spy
Will You Sign Here John Hancock?
Worst of Friends
George vs. George
A More Perfect Union
DK George Washington
Sacagawea
How We Crossed the West
Star Spangled Banner
Josephina AG books
Trail of Tears
The Drinking Gourd
Escape North
Uncle Remus
If You Traveled in a Covered Wagon
Bound for Oregon
Sarah Plain & Tall
Skylark
Kirsten AG books
California Gold Rush
Abraham Lincoln
Abe Lincoln's Hat
I Survived the Battle of Gettysburg
Addy AG books
Presidential Elections and Other Cool Facts (election year)
How the US Gov Works (election year)
Red White & Blue Who (election year)

This is amazing! Thank you so much!!!!!!!!

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Momto6inIN said:

I used to play this as a kid!  Is this a new game, or is this something you've had a while?  I wonder if it's the same one I used to play.  We also played Where in the World is Carmen Sandiego 😆  best games ever!

3 hours ago, Sarah0000 said:

My third grader has been doing Beautiful Feet History of Science which is mostly independent reading with notebooking and the occasional experiment. BF has other history subjects that focus around a reading list.

Hope I don't sound too stupid but I've heard this term notebooking a lot on this site. Is this simply narrations kept in a notebook or something more? I'll check out BF! Thanks!

7 hours ago, MomN said:

Hope I don't sound too stupid but I've heard this term notebooking a lot on this site. Is this simply narrations kept in a notebook or something more? I'll check out BF! Thanks!

It can be lots of different things. In BF it can range from definitions, reports, drawing pictures or diagrams, coloring (younger ones). It's all detailed as to what to put in the notebook in the BF guide.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, MomN said:

I used to play this as a kid!  Is this a new game, or is this something you've had a while?  I wonder if it's the same one I used to play.  We also played Where in the World is Carmen Sandiego 😆  best games ever!

We used to have an oooooooold desktop computer with lots of old games that the kids could play, but it finally died. So yes, it probably was the same one you played as a kid!

They have a website for retro games and we play it on that now.

• Like 1

If you are not opposed to Christian sources:

The Abeka 3rd grade reader is excellent.  I don't like any of Abeka's other history books, but the third grade book is a wonderful selection of short biographies from people throughout American history.  My kids have read this over and over and it's pretty worn out.  In fact, I think we might be on our second copy of it...

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Junie said:

If you are not opposed to Christian sources:

The Abeka 3rd grade reader is excellent.  I don't like any of Abeka's other history books, but the third grade book is a wonderful selection of short biographies from people throughout American history.  My kids have read this over and over and it's pretty worn out.  In fact, I think we might be on our second copy of it...

Will definitely check it out!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Momto6inIN said:

We used to have an oooooooold desktop computer with lots of old games that the kids could play, but it finally died. So yes, it probably was the same one you played as a kid!

They have a website for retro games and we play it on that now.

I'll look for the website! Thanks!

• Like 1