Menu

9th grade curriculum that isn't reading intensive - video / computer / hands-on

I feel like all the curriculum out there has 5-10 pages of reading for every subject. That is a lot of reading when you add in all the subjects for a kid who does not absorb reading well. I am looking for alternative programs for any subject that are not reading intensive. 

Also, I would love to find an all-in-one program. I really like HOD World Geography but it is very expensive and reading intensive. 

Thank you!

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Michelle My Bell said:

I feel like all the curriculum out there has 5-10 pages of reading for every subject. That is a lot of reading when you add in all the subjects for a kid who does not absorb reading well. I am looking for alternative programs for any subject that are not reading intensive. 

Also, I would love to find an all-in-one program. I really like HOD World Geography but it is very expensive and reading intensive. 

Thank you!

Not exactly what you are asking for, but, for my ds I do a lot of either reading to him or letting him use audio books.  I do balance that so he can build his skills.  Apologia Science has audio, hoopla (available through most libraries) has a lot of the books you might find in HOD.

• Like 1

Whatever you choose for the Literature portion of the English credit, you can listen to the Lit. as audiobook, and follow along in a print book. Many students find it far easier to concentrate and think deeper about Literature doing it this way. 😄

Edited by Lori D.
  • Like 1

My DD is using Guest Hollow's Geography and Cultures for history for 9th grade.  The spine is an online textbook with embedded videos.  She reads it, but you could use a text-to-speech app for the written part.  The videos help to break up the reading and add a visual element that I think improves comprehension and retention of the material.  This program also has a LOT of book suggestions that go along with it.  Some of these are very visual and are designed as more of a supplement to look through--for example, Material World and Hungry Planet.  I think that most of the novels could be found as an audiobook.  

Edited by kristin0713
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, kristin0713 said:

My DD is using Guest Hollow's Geography and Cultures for history for 9th grade.  The spine is an online textbook with embedded videos.  She reads it, but you could use a text-to-speech app for the written part.  The videos help to break up the reading and add a visual element that I think improves comprehension and retention of the material.  This program also has a LOT of book suggestions that go along with it.  Some of these are very visual and are designed as more of a supplement to look through--for example, Material World and Hungry Planet.  I think that most of the novels could be found as an audiobook.  

Wow! I didn't know this existed!!! What a wonderful program. I am seriously considering it. How much time do you spend per day on it on average? Do you go through weekly and pick and choose what she is going to read/do? What books do you find absolute must have's? Thank you for the recommendation!

1 hour ago, Michelle My Bell said:

Wow! I didn't know this existed!!! What a wonderful program. I am seriously considering it. How much time do you spend per day on it on average? Do you go through weekly and pick and choose what she is going to read/do? What books do you find absolute must have's? Thank you for the recommendation!

So if you look at this page, it will tell you what books are referenced in the workbook. You can follow the facebook group to see how others are using the program.  I actually went through last spring/summer and made a new schedule for my daughter based on what I thought would interest her and keep it to a manageable level.  I printed the workbook pages that are used with the online textbook and coil bound those.  I also created my own writing projects with travel and wildlife themes and I added those to the workbook as they occurred before having it bound.  We use the online textbook and videos completely, some of Prisoners of Geography, the atlas, the wildlife book, the two books that I listed above, and several travel books. I have given her the option of reading some of the novels. For me personally, I found it easier to plan out the year ahead of time rather than do it week by week during the school year.  (I also had tons of time last spring/summer because of the pandemic and planning school kept me sane!)  

• Like 1

My oldest dd was a "just the facts" kind of leaner.  She did not enjoy literature based programs.  Alpha Omega was a good fit for her.  The paper based (not online or computer based) program was broken up into units so it was not as overwhelming.  We could add literature as we wanted to add, but it was not necessary