Menu

How far/often do you drive for kid’s activities?

Calizzy

Oh, wow, yes - I would definitely do that.

We normally have theater here, which is about 30 mins away, with crazy schedules for rehearsals and productions.  Including late night cast parties after shows.  And weekly classes between shows.

Plus swimming, same distance, with at least an hour wait time, for lessons.

We have a weekly maker’s club that we drop in on at times.  Ditto for the parkour gym.  Neither are consistent classes these days, but were at one point.

And that’s pretty minimal, I think.

I would absolutely do a drop off co-op for that amount of driving, especially at that age.  Kids need more social interaction at that age, and to build independence.

Any chance you could carpool?

Edited by Spryte
  • Like 1

One thing I've done to redeem the time is to have an audio book on the go.  While I don't usually listen while driving with the child, I do on my way back.  Sometimes it's an audio book for the literature book we are studying so I can have good discussions with the child.  Sometimes it's just a good mystery. 

What the OP describes is very minimal driving. Yes, if a child is requesting this type of outlet, I'd do it. But we used to drive 40 minutes each way to our homeschool tutorial and 15-20 minutes to almost everywhere else when the boys were in middle/high school. I think we had 1- 2days a week, depending on the season, where no one went anywhere. 

• Like 1