Menu

Help me choose science for grades 3, 4, 5

Meadowlark

Of course, I'd love to be able to combine them. This year we're doing MP's Astronomy, and while I like it...I do not want to do their Insects program next year. I need something where we gather around the table and experience a variety of teaching methods. Most importantly, it needs to have sticking power (MP is great at this) and we want to have a little fun. The rest of our curriculum is pretty serious and I want science to be a little lighter, but definitely not fluff either. It's not my style.

Ideally, it would be minimal prep for me, NOT a ton of "fluffy" projects (not a fan), and real books/videos. I wonder if I just need a spine of some sort with a little more. I've already ruled out Memoria Press, Apologia, Nancy Larson and Singapore.  I've looked at TGATB so that's an option, but the supply list completely overwhelms me.

What else is there for this age? (ideally, about 4th)

Science in the Beginning by J L Wile is good. Only 3x a week. A simple experiment with each lesson. Review questions at 3 levels; the older 2 ages keep a homemade science notebook. No fluff. It is based on the days of creation, but I've heard people use it without being Christian. It is really just science;) I'm not as fond of the rest of his elementary books, but this is perfect for your ages.

You could totally add books to it and use it for the spine and experiments. There's only like 3 pages of text per lesson.

Edited by countrymum
  • Like 1

We've used Mr. Q Science all the way through. Personally, I think his Elementary Life Science is light for those ages. And his Earth Science might have a lot of repetition with the Astronomy you're doing. But his Elementary Chemistry or Physical Science might be fun.

I used Real Science Odyssey level one biology, chemistry, and physics with my two oldest for second through fifth grade. It supported combining grades really well and wasnt too heavy. The weekly schedule has you doing science twice a week. Each lesson has a short reading and a simple lab. There's also an index that has suggestions for further reading for each unit. I didnt use all of the suggested supplemental books, but those I did get were well chosen and interesting. The labs were simple to set up but not fluffy-I dont like that either. 

1 hour ago, countrymum said:

Science in the Beginning by J L Wile is good. Only 3x a week. A simple experiment with each lesson. Review questions at 3 levels; the older 2 ages keep a homemade science notebook. No fluff. It is based on the days of creation, but I've heard people use it without being Christian. It is really just science;) I'm not as fond of the rest of his elementary books, but this is perfect for your ages.

You could totally add books to it and use it for the spine and experiments. There's only like 3 pages of text per lesson.

We only got through a few lessons.  Was too text heavy and made me sleepy to read it.

1 hour ago, Gobblygook said:

Mystery Science was a big hit for us at those ages.

What would a week look like with MS? We get the free weekly videos so I’m quite familiar with Doug’s style. But it seems a little light...unless they’ve changed something lately. What is a lesson besides the one day video?

36 minutes ago, MGS said:

one I might do is Noeo... I looked into it last year but need to check it out again.

On our 2nd year of NOEO.  Don't have time for a thorough review, but not a favorite.   It's extremely light and the books aren't nearly as good as those in Bookshark.  But light served my purpose again this year and my kids still say they like science though I think it's lame.

We've tried TGATB for Space Science.  Compared to something like Apologia, it is super light.  I'd say even a little fluff.  I like it for like 1st or 2nd, but honestly, I think library books about space work just as good if not better.  I love your description of how you want science to look:  a little lighter with sticking power but not fluff.  I want the same!

5 hours ago, Meadowlark said:

Of course, I'd love to be able to combine them. This year we're doing MP's Astronomy, and while I like it...I do not want to do their Insects program next year. I need something where we gather around the table and experience a variety of teaching methods. Most importantly, it needs to have sticking power (MP is great at this) and we want to have a little fun. The rest of our curriculum is pretty serious and I want science to be a little lighter, but definitely not fluff either. It's not my style.

Ideally, it would be minimal prep for me, NOT a ton of "fluffy" projects (not a fan), and real books/videos. I wonder if I just need a spine of some sort with a little more. I've already ruled out Memoria Press, Apologia, Nancy Larson and Singapore.  I've looked at TGATB so that's an option, but the supply list completely overwhelms me.

What else is there for this age? (ideally, about 4th)

So, you have dc who are 8yo, 9yo, and 10yo. 🙂 What about Considering God's Creation?