Menu

What's a good gift for an 11 year old boy that you don't know much about?

I think girls are so much easier to shop for! My 9yo son still loves Legos, but I'm not sure if an 11yo would think it still "cool". Depending on how much you want to spend, how about a portable CD player? I think you can pick one up for about $20 at the drug store. I bought one last year for our Christmas Angel Tree kid. Or along those lines, how about a gift cert for music? I'm not sure where kids buy music these days.... (oh how pathetic am I??) Maybe itunes.com? I think a gift cert to amazon.com or target.com, or maybe barnesandnoble.com would all be great bets.

Anyway, I'll be happy to see the other answers! I have a 9yo DS, so I'll be in this boat in the coming years....

GL! - Stacey in MA

My ds just turned 11. My parents bought him a book about how things work - Silly Putty, Rubix Cube, Magic 8 ball. They bought those toys so he could take them apart. They also included the things he'd need to make some of the projects. That gift has lasted HOURS!

My MIL bought him walkie talkies. We bought him a BMX bike (but that's probably not what you were thinking of heh? LOL).

My ds just turned 11. My parents bought him a book about how things work - Silly Putty, Rubix Cube, Magic 8 ball. They bought those toys so he could take them apart. They also included the things he'd need to make some of the projects. That gift has lasted HOURS!

).

My son would love a book like that! Do you remember the title?

I think Legos would be great.

When my ds turned 11 he got a movie night kit from a friend: it was a popcorn bucket, (you can buy them at Blockbuster or Walmart), filled with a gift card to Blockbuster and 2 movie size candy boxes, (Walmart has them for $.88). He loved being able to pick out a movie for the family and share his candy with his silblings.

Hope your son has fun at the party with his new friend.

A book recommendation:

Oh, Yuck! The Encyclopedia of Everything Nasty by Joy Masoff

If you can get past the cover art, this is a great book. It's full of intriguing discussions on a wealth of yucky topics. In short, it's fascinating. I brought it home when my eldest was about that age, and we were all taken with it (even my husband!).

If you're near a Barnes and Noble, they have a 25% off book sale today for educators.

Regards,

Kareni