Menu

Treating Osteoporosis

JumpyTheFrog

1 hour ago, JumpyTheFrog said:

My mom is in her late 60s and was just diagnosed with osteoporosis in her hip area. She would prefer to avoid prescription drugs.

Does anyone have any stories of people successfully improving their bone density through diet, supplements, and exercise?

No.  I am on Prolia which actually builds back the bones and that is only a shot every six months-so a lot less problematic.

I was hoping someone would reply with some great ideas--I'd implement them myself! But I'll offer what information I have. I'll add that, because of my mom, I'm doing the following things now, myself, to try to strengthen my bones pre-menopause. 

My mom has osteoperosis and did do the bone drugs. She also:

added supplements vitamin D3, K2/mk-7, magnesium, calcium

increased weight bearing exercise to 30 minutes a day (walking in her case, but your mom is quite a bit younger than mine--heavier bone impact--think stomping/jumping/jogging etc--exercise is better if your mom can). 

(And I would look into actual work with weights if she can-I am sure I saw some information about heavy squats in older women being helpful. )

She eats 6 prunes a day and tries to get other stone fruits in the diet.

Generally, produce is good for bones. 

She needs adquate protein for bone health.

She should cut caffeine entirely if she can and limit alcohol. 

I don't know if the natural things would be enough to increase bone density after menopause, but I do think there is evidence to indicate they can help reduce additional loss and make breaks less likely. 

Edited by sbgrace
  • Like 1

53 minutes ago, JumpyTheFrog said:

What's the idea with the prunes?

I found this...

Dried plums, also commonly referred to as prunes, have a unique nutrient and dietary bioactive profile and are suggested to exert beneficial effects on bone. 

and this...

https://womenshealth.obgyn.msu.edu/comment/25256

Edited by mlktwins
added another link

53 minutes ago, JumpyTheFrog said:

What's the idea with the prunes?

1 minute ago, mlktwins said:

I found this...

Dried plums, also commonly referred to as prunes, have a unique nutrient and dietary bioactive profile and are suggested to exert beneficial effects on bone. 

Too bad prunes have an overly laxative effect on me. Good for my teens though.

Luckily jujube doesn’t have the laxative effect on me.

I am told by my oncologist to do whatever weight bearing exercises I can as well as take 1500mg calcium with Vit D daily. My first endocrinologist appointment is in March.

1 hour ago, JumpyTheFrog said:

Interesting! Eating ten dried plums per day sounds like something she'd be willing to try.

I saw a study that showed 5-6 was effective, just like 10 if I recall. So if that's too much, less is also good (I eat them daily--yum and, I hope, good for my bones).