Menu

alternative to Grammar for the WTM?

silver

My kids are ready for the depth of grammar in Grammar for the WTM, but the lessons are so very long. We've been breaking them up, but now it will take us (what feels like) 20 years to get through the book. Is there anything available for grammar that goes to a similar depth/difficulty but has shorter lessons? I'm hoping for something that is 1-2 years max because we've already wasted so much time very slowly moving through Grammar for the WTM. 

did you see the schedule that WTM put out? Because we tried to do the whole book the first time and didn't realize they didn't intend that. https://welltrainedmind.com/wp-content/uploads/Recommendations-for-using-GFTWTM-with-Your-Student.pdf?v=7516fd43adaa

Typically I see people use Analytical Grammar instead, but there might be other suggestions.

• Like 1

Grammar for the WTM wasn't out for my older dc, so we've always done Analytical Grammar. We do 2 of the 3 practice pages (parse everything, answer all the questions, just diagram 3 sentences), skip the paraphrase exercise, and do the unit test over two days. I photocopy the test, and on the very rare occasion they do poorly, they can go back and do the third exercise and then re-do the test.

For ydd, I had her do season 1 (10 lessons) in the fall. Then she had a few weeks of light review. Last week we started up season 2 to do this spring, ending with a few weeks of light review. Next year she will do season 3 and be done - except some light review until standardized tests in high school.

Previously she has done FLL and some Killgallon, so there aren't really any new grammar topics for her, just review and more realistic application.

31 minutes ago, cintinative said:

did you see the schedule that WTM put out? Because we tried to do the whole book the first time and didn't realize they didn't intend that. https://welltrainedmind.com/wp-content/uploads/Recommendations-for-using-GFTWTM-with-Your-Student.pdf?v=7516fd43adaa

Typically I see people use Analytical Grammar instead, but there might be other suggestions.

I have seen that, and we're going slowly. But the long lessons and slow progress are discouraging. I chose it for the content it teaches, but it just isn't a good fit for my family.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, silver said:

I have seen that, and we're going slowly. But the long lessons and slow progress are discouraging. I chose it for the content it teaches, but it just isn't a good fit for my family.

I hear you. I wish we had seen the post before we slogged through the last half of the book.   Some of the lessons were taking three or four days toward the end.  The review lessons were taking a week or more.

We had looked at Analytical Grammar but the trouble was I really, really liked FLL, and I wanted the same type of format. In the end, I would say that GWTM was more than we needed in some areas and less in others (my kids needed more punctuation practice). 

Edited by cintinative