Menu

Blue Tent math?

Has anyone had math with Blue Tent? I had a son take an English class many years ago when they first started but I haven't had any Blue Tent experience since then. 

My dd will try a cottage school next year (for 8th grade) that meets two days a week and teaches everything but math so I need a class for her but scheduling will be tricky. Looks like the once a week meeting time for Blue Tent Algebra 1 will be workable. Currently my dd has a fantastic math teacher for prealgebra at MPOA and that will be her first choice but the scheduling likely won't work out. 

Any suggestions for an online Algebra 1 class that is a little more flexible than classes with two meetings a week? We have found, as a family, that we really need the outside accountability on math. My dh is a math guy, and can answer questions, but we really have done better with outsourced math. My dd also seems to need alot of practice. Her MPOA class really has heavy homework but dd is doing well and building confidence and enjoying math more than ever. So we aren't afraid of a heavy workload but twice a week 90 minute live classes might be tough to work in. 

I am also considering Derek Owens if that is the only option that will work but a live class really is going to be the preference. I hadn't thought about Blue Tent until someone mentioned it on another thread. So, thoughts on Blue Tent or some other provider with just a once per week meeting or a flexible or asynchronous schedule? 

My DD is very happy with Blue Tent’s Honors Pre-Calc class this year. She has taken Alg 1, Geometry, Alg 2, and AP Stats with WHA, but couldn’t do another 2x 90-minute live class this year. The flexibility is great. My DD does it asynchronously (listens to the recorded classes at 1.5-2x speed because she’s a v fast processor). It works well for her. This is the hardest she’s ever had to work in a math class she says. We’ll continue with BT for AP Calc next year. 

• Thanks 1

Thanks @fourisenough. I'm pretty excited about this option. I was worried about how next year was going to work out and this seems like it will be a good fit. No idea what the workload is going to be like for the cottage school (I find it impossible to compare workload expectations with other people) so we won't know until we are into it how that is going to go. Blue Tent seems like it has enough flexibility to work into her schedule while still having a live teacher on the other side. 

From a flexibility point of view you could look at Mr D math. They have sections that meet once a week. I think they are easier classes than the DO versions, but depending on your dd that might not be a big deal. 

If you are nervous about the Cottage School work load you might want to consider an asynchronous math class so that you can set your own schedule as needed. DO charges for 9 months and after that you have access for a long period (12 months? Forever? 2 years?)

• Like 1

I've been very happy with my son's Algebra 1 class this year. It has two live classes per week and office hours on a third day. None of those are required, though I encourage him to get to all three each week. The two live lessons are also recorded and students can watch them on their own, or skip them all together. We had had previous experiences with the English classes as well and plan to do English and math through Blue Tent again next year.

• Thanks 1