Menu

anyone else get scared/paranoid

gardenmom5

when studying a new subject, and you feel like you're understanding it?  Like you think any comprehension is all a delusion and it's just waiting to let you know?

how do you get past that?

(it's about spanish.  I'm doing duo, but when I've worked my way all the way through (I just pass off the level 5/7 test), there are other curriculums out there I plan on doing too.)

• Like 1

I'm not sure how to get you past that feeling, but one way to really boost your comprehension is to watch TV shows and movies in Spanish. If you have Netflix, it is really easy to switch the language to Spanish and add in English subtitling. That would be a painless way of working on your receptive language skills.

I want to add that I really like using the Say Hi app to practice my spoken language skills as it will translate it into English for me. I use it to practice my Cantonese (a Chinese dialect) skills as pronunciation and tone (8 of them) is really important. Then I know if I am off. I don't have people to practice with very much. 

Yes.

I took a Sociology pre-test and got an excellent score (for a pre-test), then went through the Modern States course, doing excellent in all the little quizzes, and now I’m afraid to “waste” one of the two CLEP practice tests because I can’t possibly know enough to do a good job on it. 🤨 

I had a very negative experience shifting from high school to college way back when, and I’ve struggled with self-doubt every since.

• Like 1

I think that's the time when one should play around with the subject matter in many different ways and try to relax and have fun. Games, singing, making rhymes, etc. may help. It's normal to feel a little overwhelmed and fearful, but you will give yourself a huge boost of confidence if you figure out different ways to fight through the negative feelings and slowly master the material.