Menu

Memorization lists in $$ Kingfisher Bk

5Youngs

Do you have you kiddos memorize the Egyptian Pharaohs, first 20 emperors, chinese dynasties,, etc?

At what age/grade did you start this?

We have been memorizing poetry, and I thought that we may add this.

Can you find these lists online?

Or is the book worth buying?

We have used the Usborne ILE of World History for the last 4 years and my 4th grade son has it practically memorized.

Are these lists in the back?

Thanks~

I don't think many are answering because I don't know that many of us do. We SHOULD. I was just re-reading notes I took on WTM's SWB and her success in homeschool. She said she read constantly and memorized, even though painful at times. Not bad advice.

Do you have you kiddos memorize the Egyptian Pharaohs, first 20 emperors, chinese dynasties,, etc?

Didn't but wish we had - with 5th grader now it seems like the habit of memorizing would have helped her tremendously but I think the hard core WTM users must just be busy or haven't noticed your post. We do memorize scripture regularly. I can see fruit from that effort.

At what age/grade did you start this?

IF I were smart I would have been following WTM suggestions as laid out. Now that my 9th grader is in high school I have pulled WTM off the shelf and am attempting to incorporate many more of her suggestions. At the time I though, wow, that's kinda over the top.:tongue_smilie:

We have been memorizing poetry, and I thought that we may add this.

Sounds like it would be pretty painless since you're already doing some. Check out some of the posts on people making memorization CD's. That would make it even easier. I can still name the books of the OT I memorized in 4th grade - helpful! To try it now would take much more work. Definitely won't hurt them, even if it's just the discipline of putting something hard to memory. Think biology terms later.

Can you find these lists online?

can't help there

Or is the book worth buying?

I'm not sure but I THINK this is the book giving SWB so much trouble going in and out of print. Were I using WTM solely, I would definitely use it especially if you have a soon to be logic stage student. There are plenty of other choices out there if it's expensive (I don't even know). That said, we still love ours and use USBILE and SOTW to flesh out topics sometimes. I love that it's a logic stage "go to" resource for dd. SHE likes the pics and is served by a bit more info than her sisters USB.

We have used the Usborne ILE of World History for the last 4 years and my 4th grade son has it practically memorized.

Sounds like it's time to move up to the next level. I can tell you from exp. w/my 9th grader - really, had we been doing SWB rec's for history in 5th through 8th he'd be very well prepared for hs now. As such, we're using a diff. history because I thought he needed more structure and wanted a "do this" type curricula. I also wanted help fleshing out christian events and implications.

Are these lists in the back?

pages 466 - 468 of my Fully Revised and Updated The Kingfisher History Encyclopedia, c 2004 (1st in 199) isbn 0-7534-5784-9

Can be bought for $20 or so here -

http://www.amazon.com/Kingfisher-History-Encyclopedia-Editors/dp/0753457849/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1228567805&sr=8-9

You may want to wait a month or so (not sure when new WTM comes out but there will more than likely be a new suggestion in there). You probably know that but just wanted to be sure. Sometime this board takes knowledge of hs trivia for granted.:)

HTH

now that I've typed all this I hope it's the red KF you were asking about. ACK> need coffee

According to TWTM we SHOULD memorize these lists throughout the elementary years. The pharaohs, for example, would be in first grade (or whenever you are studying ancient history). We did not do this in first, second, and even third grade. Now that we are in fourth grade we are memorizing a lot of information. (presidents, states, Gettysburg Adress) We will memorize the pharaohs next year in fifth grade.

The lists are in the back of the Kingfisher book not the Usborne book.

If your son knows the Usborne Encyclopedia by heart he may be ready to move on to the Kingfisher book anyway. I would propably buy it.

Susie

We memorize lists and poetry but we are selective about what we memorize. We didn't do the Egyptian Pharaohs because I couldn't see the value in spending the time to do so but we did memorize the Roman Emperors. I am lucky as the KF book is available at the local library so it's not something I have to purchase for myself. Dd is currently in grade 2 and we memorize the lists as recommended in TWTM, just not all of them. ;)